Friday, August 28, 2009

screens

my screens

Last night was my final screen printing class. I took along some of my own screens so that I could take advantage of the school's exposure unit - two of the screens worked out but the other two were monumental disasters to the extent that I just cleaned them off ready to start again. Whilst disappointed that the screens weren't successful it was really fortuitous that it happened. The ol' cliche about learning from mistakes has been characteristic of my learning style throughout my life. It was really interesting to see how the course facilitator worked out what the problem had been and how to solve it. If this had happened whilst I was starting out all on my own I think I would have been really stumped. Still, my skill level has really come along over the past couple of months. Funny to think that printing some orange elephants on fabric started this journey... who knows where it will take me?

I'm disappointed not to be heading off to class on Thursday nights. Obviously I have an interest in learning about screen printing but it was particularly fantastic to spend a couple of hours in the company of adults!

Can't wait to get started at home. Might be a couple of weeks until I really get started as I have a few other projects waiting to be finished off ... story of my life.

1 comment:

  1. I'll look forward to seeing what comes of your screen-printing prowess. Sounds like doing a class or workshop is the way to go. I've done a wee bit of stencilling but it's been pretty dodgy...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.