Monday, September 21, 2009

flowers over all

I finished these floral overalls for Ms. M on the weekend. I started sewing them about a month ago but stalled for a while when it came to the snap fastenings in the leg seams (for easy nappy changing). The pattern that I was guided by (following would be a misrepresentation of my sewing style) used snap tape - but I couldn't find 'snap tape' in my local area. As an alternative I made my own bias tape which I hand stitched snaps onto before hand sewing onto the overalls. It was a slow process! If I make something similar in the future I'll be stitching up the seam and taking the extra time to change the nappy. Ms. M is a real wriggler so changing her nappy is slow battle of wills at the best of times anyway.

9 comments:

  1. Oh wow! These are absolutely beautiful! I don't think I've seen such gorgeous clothes for kids since before my eldest girls (now almost 5) were born!
    Might have been a slow process but the result is totally divine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for all your lovely comments on my blog!The bags I made up myself, just used another bag that I had as the pattern for the size I wanted, hope this helps. Eleesa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry Sally, I am getting my bags mixed up! Yes I did use a pattern for those bags, Butterick no:3873, good luck and have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh those are seriously divine Sally. The material is gorgeous!!! Where did you get it?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Sally, thanks for stopping by my blog and commenting! :-) You gave yourself away when you mentioned vegemite. You must be Australian? I'm all about regional! Lived in three different countries and traveled to many more including Australia. Beautiful!! The overalls are beautiful too. Maybe the snaps would work better if you tried using a strip of that snap stuff you can buy to use for duvet covers? Just a thought...

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are so beautiful. They may have taken some time..but look at them! Gorgeous. You are clearly friends with your sewing machine. Peta

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Sally

    Just replying to your comment (on my blog) about the Otto subscription... if you dont already have it definitely get 3/2008. Its got so many seriously cute patterns. Unfortunately its no longer available in English (it comes in Dutch with English instructions now) which means it is very rapidly selling out. Its worth getting before its completely sold out like 1/2008.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So Sally do you think you could make me a pair? I love a bit of a floral catastrophe! Plus I wouldn't need the snap thingies :-)
    Glad to see that you are someone who is 'guided' by patterns rather than ruled by them. Frankly I just find patterns so labourious to wade through... which usually means I skim over things and leave out vital steps.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.