Wednesday, October 21, 2009

crochetober - the granny square

In the words of two regular visitors in our home, Dora & Boots, "I did it! I did it! I did it!" - I made my first ever crocheted granny square. It was my goal to learn how to crochet a granny square by the end of October and I've done it with time to spare!!!

***the crowd is going wild in my mind***

Here it is next to my ball of chain:

I couldn't have done it without the wonderful help of my dear friend Ms. C who popped over on Monday night and patiently showed me what to do. She is an excellent teacher (even if she did keep unravelling my work).

It has taken me some time to make this first granny square - lots of unravelling and redoing - but as I progressed slowly my hands started doing it for themselves and my mind was free to wander and contemplate other things. My paternal grandmother got me started with the chain stitch when I was in Sydney at the beginning of the month and now Ms. C has shown be how to take those skills and turn it into a granny square. Both women will now always be with me when I am crocheting, and a little bit of them will be in everything I make. It is a beautiful thought. It makes me smile.

4 comments:

  1. So I gotta ask... as you were singing "I did it! I did it! I did it!"... were you swinging your hands from side to side while twisting your booty???!!!

    I can't believe this is your first square. Wow. It looks perfect and neat and perfect. And what a beautiful connection to now have with your grandmother and dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations, it’s so neat for a first attempt. I can do the granny squares and even have a bag full waiting to one day learn how to sew them together!! It would be nice for them to come out of the linen closet and become something useful. It will be interesting to see what yours become.
    My project for October is knitting a washcloth, it is about 10 rows in and I am happy with the results so far. I have known how to knit for a while, but not how I managed to consistently add more and more stitches to every row!!! Hopefully if this very plain little one is a success I can move on to learning some fancy stitches to make the next one more interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely (and ridiculously neat) work! It's so very exciting to master a new skill :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is an excellent granny square, I struggle to get it bigger than one square cm! You obviously are very talented.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.