Thursday, October 1, 2009

my creative space - potato prints

I'm playing along with Kirsty and the gang for the first time this week.

I'm developing a real interest in fabric printing. With two potatoes going green in the pantry I thought that this week would be a good time to play around with doing some potato prints on some fabric remnants.

Feeling inspired from reading I decided on a simple cloud motif -it would work well for two reasons. Firstly it was going to be relatively easy to cut out a cloud image into a potato (given that I hadn't done this since my childhood - which I regret to share with you was a very long time ago) and secondly I had left-over white fabric ink.

The white ink that I used is not opaque so the clouds have a sweet translucent effect. I'm really pleased with the outcome. Better still I only used one potato, so I have another green tat sitting on the window sill ready for more experimentation.

I'm hoping to sew a little smock with the pieces sometime soon...
... so stay tuned!
Check out more creative spaces here!

10 comments:

  1. Welcome....I have yet to experiment with this craft..But yours looks beautiful I love the effect..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I forgot all about potato printing. I might have to have a go this afternoon. Yours look great. Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, great minds think alike!

    I have been thinking of getting to some potato printing SOON, but I have a 'to do' list that seems to go on forever right now.... kudos to you for getting straight into it! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so cute! I love potato printing. You'll move on to carving lino soon when you tire of the taties shrivelling and losing your stamp! Great smock :) K

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your printing looks like fun and really effective. I haven't done potato printing like you in years, that would be a great holiday idea for my little one. Thank so much for sharing.:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great idea! Looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love it! I'm gearing up to do some printing myself.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Don't your potato print clouds look fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  9. How fab! Love that the texture lends itself so well to those clouds. : )

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.