Tuesday, October 27, 2009

a quick guide to sewing a french seam

This is a very quick rundown on making the French seam.

I’ve been using French seams because I don’t own an overlocker and so, as the raw edges are encased within the seam, the finish looks tidier. The garment will also wash better and there will be no fraying. French seams are nice and strong too which makes them ideal for children’s clothing. In fact, I first learnt of French seams reading an Enid Gilchrist pattern book.


Perhaps this is the trickiest bit of all because it goes against the fundamentals of sewing a seam. For a French seam you place the wrong sides of the fabric together (which is the opposite of what you would ordinarily do). Before you start sewing know the seam allowance that you’re working with and sew this first seam half that size. That is, if you’re sewing a pattern that suggests a 10mm seam allowance sew this first seam 5mm. Sew the pieces of material together.


Trim the seam – you don’t want the seam to exceed more than 5mm otherwise your seam will become bulky. It is also really important to ensure that there are no stray threads otherwise they may protrude the seam and be visible.


Turn the fabric so that right sides are now together and press the seam. If you’re anything like me you may very well be tempted to skip this step ... but it does work out for the better if you abandon your cuppa next to the machine for a few moments and visit the iron at the ironing board.


With right sides facing together sew the seam as you usually would and press to finish.


Voila! – you’ve just sewn a French seam.

...and here is the finished product.

7 comments:

  1. I do love a French seam, havent used them since I got the overlocker but I do love them all the same.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great tute - makes it look so easy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great tutorial! You explain it so well.

    French seams are also good for un-lined drawstring bags that you may use as a school library bag.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for taking the time to put this together Sally. It is a fantastique tutorial!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you my dear, I've been meaning to ask you what the crap a french seam is ;) now I don't have to, plus I know how to sew one, BONUS!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think this has changed my life......... really!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.