Sunday, October 4, 2009

woktober - traditional tempeh


This is one of my all time favourite cookbooks.

Many moons ago when traveling through Indonesia I discovered the very yummy tempeh. Just like fried tofu, tempeh turns an ordinary stir fry into something amazing.

You don't just have to have tempeh in a stir fry though. Here is an Indonesian recipe from the book above for Traditional Tempeh.

Ingredients
250g tempeh
4 chopped spring onions
1 clove garlic
1 cup coconut milk
1 tsp chilli powder
1 tsp ground corriander
oil for frying

Method
Stir fry tempeh, spring onions, garlic and spices in oil for 5 minutes on a high heat. Add coconut milk and simmer for 8 minutes. Serve over brown rice.

Yum.

2 comments:

  1. thank you, I will try this, although maybe I shouldn't. Argh! God damn allergic child, I'm suspecting a soy allergy now too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have been trying a few coconut milk recipes on the www.taste.com.au site.

    Wow. My daughter is learning Indonesian, she is overseas at the moment to help with that. She is not that keen on rice. But I like Indonesian recipes, the ones I have tried.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.