Thursday, November 19, 2009

my creative space - prints and pants

I've been waiting for these to arrive...

(please excuse the smudgy mirror but I do share this space with two grotty children)

... and finally yesterday they arrived. I'm particularly thrilled with them as they're a creative collaboration between this fantastic woman, Leonie @ Raglan Guld and myself. I printed the patterned fabric pieces and she did an amazing job sewing the pants... and I mean amazing - this is one high quality garment (complete with sachet of colour seal to ensure the longevity of the pants).

It is a real buzz for me to have a pair of fisherman pants with my first patterned print. Want a closer look?

Ta-dah! Designed 100% by moi!


Something wonderful happened to me earlier this week. A friend of mine was visiting at my place as we'd arranged a 'play date' (urky phrase) for our sons who are the same age. She isn't that aware of my creative pursuits and I was showing her some bits and bobs from my creative space - unaware that the pattern on the fabric shown above was designed by moi she expressed her strong distaste for it. I tell you - it was one of the best things to happen to me - it didn't hurt. Not at all. Not in the least. In fact it was rather amusing to me. It was great because I have been shy about sharing my designs, cowering to my the inner voice (that at times is prone to shouting) - what if nobody likes it? Now I know the answer... it doesn't matter because I love it. I loved the process of designing. The thrill of transferring it to acetate and then to the screen's emulsion. I loved the ups and downs of printing it - the learning curve on calico and then the big exhilarating event onto a linen/cotton blend. The rush I got when I had finished it and the realisation that it had worked... and now - to see and wear these amazing pants. I can't wait to wear them out the front door and strut down the street wearing them... and yes - I will be strutting - but not today ... it is raining.

So instead this evening when the kiddies are sleeping soundly (o please let them be sleeping soundly!) I will be printing, printing, printing!

For more creative spaces head on over to Kirsty's.

19 comments:

  1. OMG they are beautiful!! What an amazing feeling to wear something that has come together in this way. The printing is great, I seem to have serious printing envy at the moment even though it's not something I've been into. Really interesting hearing your reaction to your friend. For what it's worth I really like the print! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are so superb Sally, I love the combination. I have some raglan guld pants too but only wish I'd had some spunky fabric to collaborate with on them... you are so cool!

    And what a great lesson to have learned this week about other peoples' opinions. I really admire your reaction and what you've learned from it.

    You're ACE!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your pants look amazing...what a buzz. Power to you too on making what YOU love.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, no wonder you are excited - that whole process sounds fantastic, and it just great that you are in "that" zone. You know the one. The contentment zone. Love it.

    Beautiful design too... I'm all happy for you & I don't even know you lol!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those pants are fabulous! Wow, you should be so proud of that print. Good for you for trusting in your own self. I cannot for the life of me work out what she didn't like. Love em. ps I love your shoes too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think they look absolutely awesome and I love your print. What a great collaboration.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The pants are fab! How cool to be able to actually wear something that incorporates your very own lovely design.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great stuff! And even better that you're loving your work and not caring about people's reactions to it. Tastes vary and there's no accounting for it. I love your print.

    BTW - I have a mirror to match (or better on the GRUBBY front) yours, but I'd love to know how to get my floors to match yours. Mine are always strewn with toys and cut up bits of fabric and paper (from both me and the little crafter).

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think that is a great story. We should all be prouds of our finished products (or else we should fix them) and recognise that if others don't like them it is simply because they have different taste. Well done. Cherrie

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great pants, and what a great print! So very exciting to have them made with your own unique design. I really like it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous pants.

    That is a great story, I shall have to remember it. It is quite intimidating when you put yourself out there in your design wondering how others will respond and how you'll feel about it. I admire your response, but hey, it is a great print; she obviously has no taste ;) LOL

    ReplyDelete
  12. what an awesome post - just made me smile. it's so important to be proud of your achivements, and what a terrific collaboration. I love the pants so much I have been wanting a pair for some time, might ask for Chrissy!

    ReplyDelete
  13. oh wow Sally your pants are FABULOUS your printed fabric looks wonderful on them!! I DO love your fabric!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Those pants are lovely I particularly like your colour choice to go with that amazing print! You should feel very proud, and obviously do which is tiptoptastic! I'm not sure what your friend was thinking by not liking them, some people are strange. I have such admiration for your conviction though, not sure I would react the same way - vision of me crying into my sleeves in a corner!! He He!

    ReplyDelete
  15. The pants are great, but your printed fabric - divine! I haven't shared my designs and prints for real yet (except Mr Yardage) and I'm really hoping I have the same reaction as you if someone doesn't like them. As you know, it's a very personal thing nurturing a design from idea to fabric - but you're right, I love them so I'll move on with a smile! Thanks for your lovely comments on my blog. xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your new fishman pants look sensational - how clever are you!

    I really admire the way you dealt with your friend's response to your (very beautiful) print. Good on you Sally.

    A man cannot be comfortable without his own approval Mark Twain.

    ReplyDelete
  17. ooh, love liesl's quote!
    a fabulous story, and the pants are gorgeous (is this leonie's secret project)
    a great feeling to use your own fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love that print – how clever are you???! It’s wonderful that you have followed through and had your work incorporated into something so beautiful and functional. Something tells me those pants will be favorites for many, many years to come. Then if you are anything like me when they are no longer suitable for wearing they should make their way into a bag of sentimental clothes that are too precious to throw out, even though they are technically rags.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have just got home and FLOWN to the computer to look see and I am screaming...I tell you...... screaming with JOY!!! They look FANTASTIC and the size is perfect. In the picture they are still looking a little stiff but they will soften beautifully with your first wash!!! Oh....Congratulations to you on all the comments....BRILLIANT!!! xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.