Sunday, November 22, 2009

my place and yours - my collection

This is my first time playing along with Pip's meme "my place and yours" and when I first read the lovely Queen Kate's theme I thought to myself that I wasn't the collector type - but then as I was unloading the shopping from the boot of my car I noticed a collection that I lug around with me on numerous trips - near and far and that I have had for so long I can't even remember it starting.

It's my camp blanket - or as Master E calls it, "the picture blanket":

This blanket is covered with my collection of cloth badges.

The badges start in every corner and are working their way into the centre of the blanket. Some are oddly placed - usually because they've got the dual purpose of patching up a hole in this very well used blanket. There are no real rules for my collection and as a collection they tell part of 'my story' in a very unique way. Some are gifts, some I just liked, some are labels that I have unpicked from my favourite clothes. There are still many more sitting in a box waiting to be sewn on.

Some are from when I was a 'brownie' as a young girl (I wasn't a very good one - I was more interested in chasing the scouts than cooking!)

Some I earned, and one I nicked off my father's favourite footy jersey.


Some come from places that I haven't been to yet, or from places that no longer exist.

This one possibly the oldest - it comes from a family holiday in 1975.

This one from Turkey Creek I was surprised to find.

This one is from a family holiday - after visiting this place I had nightmares for AGES!!!

This one is a bit politically incorrect, celebrating the white invasion. I have ancestors that travelled to Australia as convicts on the First Fleet.

Check out more collections here.

16 comments:

  1. oh, this takes me back too. I always wanted to be in guides to get badges. I should have just started a blanket like this, it is great! Some of them say funny things, others really details. Sound likes Brownies was wasted on you!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. When i saw the title of this post I had a flash back to that photo of your shed and how you said you didn't have much stuff. I wondered what on earth it would be that you collect. And here we have it, this wonderful blanket. I would love to lay it flat and look at each patch, they look great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A 'picture blanket' indeedy. There's a whole history in that blanket (and extra value-added warmth too)...!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a great collection , you can wrap yourself in memories , lovely !

    ReplyDelete
  5. what an amazing blankie..a real conversation piece..verrry unique!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ohhh WOW that's fabulous ... worth a fortune in memories and stories to tell. Love your post ... isn't this fun?

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great idea. This blanket will have heirloom value. I hope you don't have too many children wanting it! Cherrie

    ReplyDelete
  8. they are great badges! Cool collection you have there. Each one tells a story & that's really cool to me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great idea for a family to share.....a Picture Blanket! Lovely. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow - I have a camp blanket too somewhere, with my brownie and guide badges on it too! Oh the memories and I would neve have thought of it as a collection!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is THE coolest blanket. I love it. My favourite is the Arthur Stace Eternity badge. That is totes cool.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is indeed a cool blanket! And you know... some of those places you haven't been... I'll make you come and then you can say I'VE BEEN!

    ReplyDelete
  13. These are amazing. They look really beautiful on that blanket, and so so so many gorgeous details to look at. Are you still collecting these? You should have a PO Box on your blog, if you do, I'm sure we'd all love to hunt these down for you! Well done you! x

    ReplyDelete
  14. An awesome collection! and such a great idea for displaying them.

    hehe - those brownie badges took me back, I'm afraid I was a very similar type of brownie to you. I always got marks against my name for wearing nail polish.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What an interesting collection! It's a sort of journal of your life in a way.

    ReplyDelete
  16. That's a great idea. Have you tried washing it? I would like to do this with a blanket but I would need to be able to wash it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.