Wednesday, November 25, 2009

an overlocker

I have a new toy. I purchased it some weeks back but for a long time there I just stood and stared at it in the box. Then I braved watching the DVD that came with it and since that didn't send me over the edge I took the machine out of the box. It sat patiently on the table for over a week waiting for me to muster the courage to use it, and then I did and it was all fine. Better than fine. Exciting and good even.

The machine came already threaded but in my thrill of sewing up and down scrap pieces of fabric I neglected to notice one of the spools was running low and eventually it ran out. Now I could almost have hyperventilated at the idea of re-threading an overlocker. When I started this blog earlier in the year I was still finding it a challenge to thread my ol' sewing machine.

The incident was declared a family emergency. One and all downed tools and toys to sit with me as I re-watched the DVD trying to figure out how to re-thread the thing... and it was easy! Not the catastrophe that I had believed it to be at all.

Still playing with it really. Hope to show you something that I've made with it other than a veggie bag real soon.

11 comments:

  1. Yay for using the new overlocker, I had a thread break on mine and I keep putting off re-threading it. Maybe I should give it ago this morning :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did well. I was given on years ago by a lady who knew she was dying. I was so scared to thread it that I gave it back to her daughter for the grandchildren, who I believe would have been given it if she hadn't wanted to help me. Cherrie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very good! I have been hinting that I might like one for my birthday, but deep down I am very afraid that my hinting may have been successful!

    Good to hear you are conquering yours.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is that a 644D? Good choice! You will love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You'll wonder how you lived without it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. my mother in law gave me her old pfaff overlocker and despite 2 attempts, taking over an hour each, to thread and actually use the damn thing, I couldn't do it!! I so desperatly just want a simple overlocker that works!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I got one a couple of months ago, and while I do really love it, it is still pretty mysterious to me! All those threads and different tensions etc. arrggh!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know I would be petrified of re-threading an overlocker, its good to know that it aint that bad after all, now I just have save up my pennies so I can treat myself, it may be a while

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yayyyy one of these is on my shopping list so would Love to hear more about your 'fun and games' please!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, so brave, I can’t wait to see what you whip up with it. I bought an over locker about 15 years ago, I think it did about 3 meters of overlocking for me! I found it so overwhelming, the tension adjustments all those threads. It sat in my cupboard for years then went to live in the country with my Mum and recently moved in at Cuggles Creations. That was in the days before dvd’s though (or wonderful bloggers to lend moral support if needed!). I am so glad it is being used now; I hated the feeling of something I purchased going to waste.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just bought this exact same overlocker last week! Having nightmares of having to completely re-thread it though, must watch the DVD.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.