Sunday, January 3, 2010

K2 in 2010

I’m keen to see a bit of adventure in my life in 2010. The bubs are growing and it is time for us to scale great heights. A bit of mountaineering is in order me thinks. So I have planned for the family to take a tourist adventure to K2 – the second tallest mountain in the world – every month this year!!!

285px-K2-big

Image from here

… okay, okay – perhaps we won’t be undertaking literal mountaineering, and we probably won’t make it to China or Pakistan either and perhaps I should start committing to a thirty minute walk every day before I start heading up that big mountain with my two small children (one of whom has only been walking herself for a few months) but we are still heading to K2 every month in 2010.

Nope we didn’t win lotto.

Here’s the plan. Once a month the kids and I are going to take a tourist adventure to the grid reference K2 on one of the maps in our street directory. We’ll walk around and explore as if we’re in a foreign country, trying to observe the space as if we’ve never seen it before, see the things that in the hustle and bustle of our everyday lives we take for granted …and of course, like all good tourists we’ll take lots and lots of photos and send you a postcard about our travels.

The idea is from The Lonely Planet Guide to Experimental Travel. Now I don’t go to church much, if at all, in fact I don’t think I’ve gone this millennium, but a long long time ago I did hear a local bishop deliver a sermon in which he talked to the idea of having tourist experiences in our every day life. Taking the time to see the beauty in the world – no matter how small. His words stuck with me and I have carried them with me ever since. As such, the idea of travelling in my own town as a tourist really appeals to me.

Our faithful guidebook for these adventures will be the UBD – 2006 Perth Street Directory.

guide book

Look out for a postcard soon!

14 comments:

  1. THAT is an excellent adventure plan! Really a cool idea. And a much lower chance of getting hypothermia.

    Have fun!

    -Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  2. What fun you will have, I will be watching and waiting for the first post card. Although, photos from the “K2” would have been spectacular! Enjoy your adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea Sally! Luv it! Can't wait to see what happens as you go.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That IS great!!! I do have to get out of my comfort zone more!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh....I love this idea!!! I am so glad you are not going to actually climb K2...I was a travel agent BC..(before children) and I sent some trekkers up K2 and a few of them were killed.....so I am super relieved that you are safe and sound!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an inspiring idea! Thanks for sharing Sally, can't wait to see the postcards - I suggest you write them at the location, then post them on the blog for all to see :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful idea!! What a great way to see your neighbourhood.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great idea! I want to get out and explore a bit too. I look forward to seeing your postcards. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm impressed, that sounds like so much fun !

    ReplyDelete
  10. If I can fit us onto K2 you could come and visit us, but I think perhaps a day trip to Melbourne with 2 kids in tow maybe a little intense.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Don't know how I missed this post but I did. What a brilliant idea. We went for a 3 hour bush walk on Sunday with our little person. My poor partner carried her in a back pack. She was happy enough and fell asleep for a good hour of it.

    I really love your idea though, what a great way to get to know where you live better.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cute idea Sally. I look forward to hearing of your K2 adventures....

    ReplyDelete
  13. How cool! Looking forward to the first postcard!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.