Monday, January 11, 2010

map 1: K2

There is no better place to start a journey than at the beginning. That’s what I thought anyway – so I decided to start our K2 adventures on map 1.  I was overcome with disappointment when I discovered that map 1: K2 was Harbour Town – Perth’s discount shopping precinct. Urgh… shops!

map1k2

I really had to remind myself that the purpose of our adventure was to see the familiar through fresh eyes and in this regard map 1:K2 was going to be a real challenge.

K2 Map 1 postcard

Dear ----,

Here I am at map1:k2 overcome by the smell of fast food amidst a frenzy of consumerism. People everywhere laden with oversized plastic bags jostling each other in their quest to fill their emptiness with material goods. Today’s lusted after prize to be all but forgotten tomorrow. Only the smallest glimpses of nature are to be found - teasing glances of a beautiful blue sky, trivial references to flora. Thankfully this is only a stop over on my way to more exciting adventures… ‘till then take care.

♥ Sally

12 comments:

  1. Ha! Harbourtown, oh no!! Well it had to be done. Hope it was a different experience for the kids. Congrats on getting page 1 done. Hey how far are you willing to travel??

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I am going to love this series of posts - such a cool idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Sally, you are so insightful and funny at the same time! Blinking mega shopping malls, the Temple of Consumerism as I call the one nearest to us. Kind of make me sick. But nice collage!

    Oh and the blog name overhaul... I like it a lot. Clever you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That would have disappointed me too but you did it with an open heart and mind and that's the main thing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good on you for going....I would have flipped over to page 2!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh what a shame.....a shopping centre. But how good that you went through with it. Good for you Sally! :^)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I adore your 'postcard' so insightful. Methinks your journeys will be enthralling ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh no...Harbour Town is not my favourite place...cant wait to see destination 2!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Interesting start to the K2 journey. I myself like shopping centres, but maybe that is because it is generally easy for me to get to. I'd love to do something like this myself, but for now I will live my adventurous life through you :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. So where to now then. Could you start from the back? I am not into shopping either.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great that you embraced the challenge, despite knowing it wasn't going to be a wonderful adventure. I'm sure the trip generated lots of interesting and thoughtful discussions.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a brilliant idea! I'm looking forward to seeing where you end up next. I guess its great that things can only get better. Harbour Town...I went there once. Wasn't fun.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.