Wednesday, January 13, 2010

rubbish reduction resolution

rubbish 13.01.10Our family has resolved to try to reduce our rubbish this year. We’ve re-familiarised ourselves with what can be recycled and we’re purchasing goods with less packaging. This morning I was at the grocery store and forgot my reusable bags so instead of resorting to plastic bags I opted for no bags at all – after all I had a trolley and was just taking the goods to the car.

This is our bin today. I’d say about three-quarters full. We’re aiming to be less than half full by the end of the year. I’m confident we can do it especially considering that at the start of the year – only two rubbish collections ago – the lid of the bin didn’t close due to the large amounts of waste.

6 comments:

  1. do you have single bin recycling or separate? You are too good, you put the rest of us to shame :) You know Sal, you are a true inspiration in everything you do. I'm going to miss you so much *sob*.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am always amazed at how much packaging I buy - what is with this putting veges in packaging??

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good on you and your family. I also forgot my bags the other day; we were just picking up about a dozen things. The girl offered me a 15 cent reusable (plastic) bag. I declined and just grabbed the basket I had been using back to ferry the goods out to the car. I was then advised I wasn’t allowed to take the basket out of the store. I just smiled sweetly and took it anyway and returned it when I was finished. I know, I know my acts of rebellion these days are soooo out there, I am sure to cause anarchy in the street!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a great family resolution. Our rubbish reduced significantly when we moved to somewhere with no rubbish collection. Putting the full bins on the back of the ute and driving to the tip is such a pain that we do anything not to have to do it too often.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nappies take up some space! Miss M will have to reduce her waste first, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great resolution! I also just use the trolly when i forget my bags. The checkout girls look at me like i'm a weirdo.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.