Monday, January 25, 2010

shiver me timbers

pirate dress-ups

This little pirate outfit is the last of the dress-ups that I made for my boy for his birthday. As part of the costume I made an eye-patch and bought him a plastic hook for his hand – but those items were unavailable for photos.

The bolero jacket is again from the Enid Gilchrist Fancy Dress publication and the pants were quickly knocked up without a pattern at all. The pants are made from black calico and I left the bottoms unhemmed so that they would fray after being washed. The tricorne pirate hat I made following a tutorial @ Uber Domestic. It was super easy to make and E. loves it!

10 comments:

  1. oh wow I love it, and that lining fabric looks awsome! next year will be a pirate party maybe ;) Sel had one this year for her 3yo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how cute is that little oufit? Well done Sally. Love the fabric for the vest lining. Where do you get fabric like that. Can't say I've seen it before. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great dress up! I have been planning on making a pirate costume for the kids for a loooong time. That hat looks great!

    "Shiver me timbers" is my kid friendly swear word and Jemima has started saying it too now. Little sponges.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow, where did you find that fab piratey lining fabric?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just gorgeous. This is so special - a real keeper! That lining is just spectacular. It's a work of art, Sally! :) K

    ReplyDelete
  6. I picked up the fabric for the lining at a shop called The Textile Traders - not sure if they're in other states. I imagine they probably are since there is quite a few of them here. I cut cleverly and so only needed a fat quarter to line the bolero (remember it is small enough to fit a three year old!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! Wow wow wow! That is awesome. I'm fairly impressed that you made a tricorne AND it was super easy! Off to check out the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Arrrr Sally, you've outdone yourself this time!That is a fabulous costume - and the print inside the jacket is to die for!
    Clever you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So love the hats - I should of commisioned you to make the ones for Caleb's b'day. Nice work, love the jacket!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a wonderful mama creating costumes for play! You have a wonderful blog and now a new follower.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.