Sunday, February 28, 2010

february sewing challenge :: something knit

12monthsewingchallenge

This month’s challenge was to sew something using knit fabric. I started out following a pattern, but then realised that I needed a zipper so rather than putting the project off any longer abandoned the pattern and made it up as I went.

baby romper

The pattern called for a zip down the back and also had attached booties. I sewed the seam up the back stopping at the top for one press stud at the neck to help get the suit over baby’s head.  I left off the booties and used press studs on the inner legs and crotch – again easier to put on and off and also change bub’s nappy. This decision was also easy to justify in the 40+°C temperatures.

Sewing for someone so small was tricky and at times a bit fiddly, but overall I found sewing with the knit material not too awful as long as I went slow. The slower I went the easier it was for me to guide the material, whenever I picked up speed the material seemed to take on a life of its own, dancing its way under the foot creating a wibbly-wobbly line of stitches. The overlocker was great – but I used my sewing machine first before committing a seam to the knife.

This challenge has been great for me as it has pushed me to finish projects that I would otherwise put off. Now that I have completed this suit I think I should have another go using knit material sooner rather than later. It’s the only way I’m going to get better at it.

… and now to decide if I am game enough to pass this little baby suit on as a gift?

Check out more knit creations as part of the February challenge at Carolyn’s.

4 comments:

  1. Looks fantastic, I haven't had a chance to do mine yet, hopefully this week :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It turned out lovely...I have a fear of knit too, and I couldn't imagine combining zippers and knits! They are my two biggest fears together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute! I love looking at beautiful little baby things!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.