Monday, February 1, 2010

still in the box

new machine

Ooops! It would seem that I bought myself a sewing machine. The problem is I can’t bring myself to take it out of the box. I feel like I’m betraying my existing machine. The first and only machine that I’ve ever had. The machine that I have had for over fifteen years. The machine that I have carted with me around Australia. The machine that I have neglected and, as my partner pointed out, barely used, well until recently.

I have a sickening feeling in my gut that I am behaving like a stereotypical middle-aged man who trades in his wife for a younger model?

11 comments:

  1. Just enjoy it - the other one will understand!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I kept my old lady for teaching my girls to sew. Enjoy your new friend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with kate...pass the old one on!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not sure your comparison is quite relevant here Sally... Enjoy it and make it worth the purchase!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kate's idea is great, it will experience a whole new kind of love!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh go on take it out the box!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oooh go on - have a play. The new fancy stitches will win you over I suspect...
    Your old machine will still love you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. First up what you need to do is donate the sweet old girl, perhaps the local nursing home or op shoppy goodness and then on the way home stop in at the hardware and but a box cutter, get it out and enjoy

    ReplyDelete
  9. My machine is the one I leanrt on, my mum's old machine.... and I love it. Maybe keep yours to teach and then to give to someone who will love it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh it's nice! Wow! I have a Janome that looks really old now next to yours! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I felt the same when I bought my new one, however, I swore I would continue using my old one too..One day a project came up requiring multiple fabric colours, so instead of re-threading over and over, I thought AHA! I can use them both...I set them both up one next to the other, oiled the old one up, re-threaded it, got it all perfect, tested it, began my project and..the old machine promptly brightly flashed and died. - I believe my old machine kicked the bucket just to spite me! Machine's DO get jealous ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.