Tuesday, March 2, 2010

peg pinny

Inspired by the marvellous Clutterpunk’s penchant for aprons and pinnies I made my man and myself a pinny to wear when we’re hanging out the laundry. We’ve been having peg “issues” as it would seem that the former owner was a tad shorter than us. With a low laundry line and a hanging peg basket, pegs tend to go flying often. Add two little peg thieves and you’ve got some kind of strange peg economy.

At first sight of Gina’s peg-pocket apron I immediately knew that a similar project needed to be added to my eternally growing list of projects that I want to complete one day.

Flicking through the pages of Enid Gilchrist’s Pinnies ‘n’ Things I found a pattern for the ‘Hold All Pinny’.pinnies n things hold all pinny

That same afternoon when browsing at a local fabric store I stumbled across fabric with a peg print. It felt like a sign. Quicker than it would take me to put on a load of washing I had snapped up some peggy fabric and was heading home to start drafting my peg pinny pattern.

Just between you and me I didn’t really imagine that I would start and finish one so quickly…

washer woman washer man tied with a bowpeg pocket

I’m really pleased with it. I made a small adjustment to Enid’s pattern – sewing the ties into the waist band rather than sewing them on and then catching them with bias binding. A neater finish me thinks.

back side and tiesfront view

Never thought I’d see the day when I’d been looking forward to hanging out a load of washing.

11 comments:

  1. Adorable! It's even cuter when the man of the house teams it with his hairy legs...hee hee!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My My that one mighty fine set of legs!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been meaning to make one of these for yonks, might have to bump it up a wee bit. We go through pegs like no bodies business thanks to our little helper too :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now that one is just perfect. I'm a wee bit jealous. My pocket hangs out in an unattractive manner when I'm wearing it. ADORE all the pleatage, and the pegs, and especially the GINGHAM!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How great is that book? Great looking pinny too, well done.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I CANNOT believe that you found peggy fabric! That is hilarious. I love it, I think I have to add it to the list

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anyone tell you that you a bit too talented? I think there's an invention for just about anything.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Brilliant idea! Just lovely and so handy....and I love that your hubby is happy to wear it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. very unisex! hanging clothes out is my least fav job, I think you might have inspired me too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Absolutely love this idea, I'll definitely be giving it a go. The peg fabric is so cute, perfect for the peg pinny. Thanks for the inspiration. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.