Tuesday, March 23, 2010

perhaps with a little help from my friends

argh!!! I cannot crochet in rows.

I can’t seem to crochet in rows!  My granny-a-day challenge is on pause at the moment as I wait for more yarn to arrive from the Bendigo Wool Mill, so I thought I’d start making a footy scarf for my lovely other. Aside from the fact that I didn’t chain stitch the foundation row long enough it has gone all wonky again.

The aim is lovely rows of double crochet. What am I doing wrong? Any tips or tricks that you think might help me out?

6 comments:

  1. I'm thinking maybe the tension is making it curl like that and perhaps going up to a bigger size hook or stitching more loosely would help? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry Sal, no tricks or tips from me, I can't do it either. X

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just keep on crocheting. It should uncurl as it gets longer. Cherrie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just keep going, it's normal for it to curl like this. Once you've finished it and blocked it, it will sit flat :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh what a gorgeous colour - but - I can't crochet for my life. Good on you Sal. xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Going up a hook size might help, but dc is generally a fairly firm and rigid fabric, so you might find you don't get much drape even once you've been going for a while. You could try half treble crochet instead - it's more flexible than dc but not as floppy and holey as tc. I made a scarf for my hubby pre-blogging using long rows of htc which worked really well. I ravelled it (my username is dillpickle76) if you want to have a look!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.