Sunday, March 28, 2010

piecing it together

You might remember that last month I attended my very first sewing guild meeting. This Saturday past was my second meeting. Once again I had an amazing time even if I didn’t get around to using the invisible thread.invisible threadI did, however, use a rotary cutter for the very first time and the 1/4 inch seam foot. Love that foot – so nifty. With some very experienced guidance, I attempted for the first time piecing bits of fabric together to form a Seminole design.rotary cutterMistakes have been made here and there, but thankfully nothing that couldn’t be unpicked. This type of sewing goes against my nature – precision and patience are not there as my prominent attributes… but I dug down deep and found them lurking within.oops! Here’s what I’ve done so far. I’m pretty chuffed considering this is my first attempt at this style of sewing. Is it patchwork? No doubt a strange question for many of you – but the fabric pieces were all rather large at the beginning so I’m not sure if this is known as patchwork or perhaps another term? Please – enlighten me!so far...Hopefully it goes without saying that is was just so lovely to sew with such an amazing and diverse bunch of women. There is so much to be learnt, so many laughs to have and beyond that an awesome sense of being part of something greater. Sisterhood.

9 comments:

  1. Sure looks like patchwork to me. A great combination of fabrics too. Their is a name for the technique you are using (don't ask my brain today though!) but this is still patchwork regardless of how you accomplished it. Cherrie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really lovely work Sally, and such wonderful colours together! Well done you.
    Is it called strip piecing?? Not sure.
    How lovely for you to have that feeling of belonging. Something we could all do with. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was wondering when you were goign to come back to the invisable thread. me likes a lot. your quilt looks great. Good on you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look so good Sally! Isn't meeting with fellow sharing crafters just the best network ever

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like patchwork, quilting or piecing to me Sal. I've found it'a an individual thing. Some can be so anal about it! I think what you've done is gorgeous and it's whatever you want it to be - Congratulations on your perserverence 10/10 ;)) xo.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, that's patchwork... the bizarre habit of cutting up large bits of fabric into smaller bits and then sewing them back together! Crazy isn't it? Crazy, yet somehow fulfilling...

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow, you must be a natural. to me (ie. the untrained eye) that looks fantastic for a first attempt!! i like the idea of patchwork/quilting but i shudder at the sheer enormousity (if thats a word) of how long it would take from start to finish. plus, patience, precision *and* persistence are not my strong points either.
    keep us updated on how its going - love those colours together too :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I adore your colour choices. Also, a little envious of you and your guild. Looking forward to your next post!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh that looks lovely - I was thinking of joining the sewing guild but the meetings are so very far from me...which one do you to?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.