Monday, March 22, 2010

when the skies opened

hailThere was a colossal storm in my little corner of the world this afternoon. At 3:30 in the afternoon I started turning on lights due to the dark sky and then twenty minutes later the heavens opened up and pieces of hail came plummeting from the sky. It was terrifying. I stood at the side door and watched our neighbour’s roof become pocked marked with holes, the noise of the hail was deafening, the visibility poor, trees violently moving from side to side. The hail was moving with such forceful velocity that as it landed on the lawn some of the pieces would bounce up and over the garden fence. Tremendous.  A flash flood rushed past the door lapping at the step. And then it was silent, if only for a small moment, before the emergency services’ sirens could be heard screeching in what seemed like every direction. Hard to believe that just two hours earlier we had been playing at the park.

Another storm passed over again a couple of hours later and whilst the torrential rain burst open our eaves, it wasn’t nearly as terrifying. The damage will need to be assessed more closely tomorrow. What ever it might be we’re much more fortunate than those people at Mount Eliza who have been affected by the landslide.

Tonight seemed like the perfect moment to give my boys their matching pyjamas that I recently made for them. Nice to be all rugged up on such a night… boys in their matching pjs … don’t they look so sweet sitting next to each other like two peas in a pod? I can tell you that Mr. 3 was rightly chuffed sitting there with his Dada in matching duds.

6 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, so pleased you are all OK. Sounds very very scary.

    Those PJ pants are just the cutest :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. Glad everyone is ok. Crazy how it goes as quickly as it comes eh? Wonderful pic of the pair!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those PJ"S are Magical. I think I'll show dave tonight, see if he'll let me deck the whole family out!!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh my, you must live near me. I was driving to work in a downpour around 3:30pm and I've got to say it was really scary. I was afraid my car windows would break with the hail and really couldn't see very far ahead. I was stuck on the inside lane with nowhere to stop, it was horrible. When I got to work a ceiling had caved in, luckily not in an area where people were sitting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. wasnt it crazy! And we had it all through the night and most of the next day and all through last night too. We caught the second lot as it came through the wheatbelt. My inlaws in Perth - both of their cars are right offs....I hope you are all dry and not too dented from the hail!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.