Sunday, April 11, 2010

10² = buzz

After all the excitement of yesterday I’m feeling a little flat today. The last stitch of my one hundred granny square blanket was made at 2328hrs on the one hundredth day of the 2010… what a buzz! I felt very satisfied with my achievement and was bursting with happiness. Now today it is all finished. Done. I’m feeling a bit lost without my blanket project. Time to start planning the next one I suppose.

…but before I do let me revel in the glory of my achievement for a little bit longer.

My blanket started here with this drawing…

granny blanket0001 … and with this basket of yarn…P1195424

…the first squares were started…starting...

…and soon enough there were more…  squares multiplied 

…there was crochet waiting for class at the gym…crochet at the gym 

…and at the hairdresser’s…crochet at the hairdresser

…at my desk at work…crochet at work

…and in the car.crochet in the car  

And now it is finished. finished blanket on the bedfinished blanket on the bedI’m in love with it. I can’t stop smiling when ever it comes into my view. I stop and look at it, wrap myself in it, stroke my hand across it. My mind wonders. I wonder what adventures this blanket will take with me. Who will fall asleep under it? What cushion houses will it be a roof for? What tears will be shed wrapped in it? What will be it’s first stain – tea or vegemite? Will it out survive me? Will it be as much loved then?

I am now left with this.left over yarn

18 comments:

  1. You have put so much work into your beautiful rug. I certainly admire your patience. Don't let anyway animals near it because they generally have a good scratch around and that is not good for woolwork. I know! Cherrie

    ReplyDelete
  2. woo hoo Sally. It's looking much more fabulouser now that's it's all sewn together!!

    umm...you could always make little crocheted flowers with the leftovers and sew them randomly over the blanket!!?? lol. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations! I love the colours and I love the love and thought you put into your pieces, you don't just make things you bring them to life!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i think the feeling of finishing something is such a wonderful feeling! well done for sticking it out and actually achieving your granny a day challenge! so impressed. that blanket is going to have many wonderful adventures :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow that looks amazing. The placement of colours is so deliberate and definate. I would have randomly mixed them up, soothing stripes would have never entered my muddled, crazy mind!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful end result. Whatever will you find to do with your idle hands now?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Wow! That looks terrific Sal! No wonder you stop & smile & cuddle & snuggle in it all the time when you can. It's great! Really really great! I love the stripes. Like Miss Muggins said, I too would have not thought of the deliberate stripes. It really is special. I like your thinking too in what will your blanket see in it's lifetime. Very cool thoughts...

    ReplyDelete
  8. OH Wow it looks amazing. I am so very very jealous that I didn't get a chance to do this.

    I really love your colour choices too, lovely

    ReplyDelete
  9. P.S I meant to say earlier that this looks amazing!!! And what a lucky cat you have eh?!! I hope he/she isn't the only one taking advantage of the coziness!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Absolutely beautiful blanket! Very special indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well done. I love the passion with which you've created, and completed, this project. I'm sure this beautiful piece of work will bring comfort and joy for many years to come. Congrats. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh Sally - it's gorgeous! And well done on keeping up with the granny a day - I'm still trying to play catch up with the days/squares! But having lots of fun anyway. I'm well impressed. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I can't believe how good it looks! You are so very clever and super skilled. I am in awe of your creativity. Can't wait to see it in real life when we catch up soon ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely. That's a great achievement.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow! It looks great! I love the stripes.

    ReplyDelete
  16. sally i love it. i love the lines, and how you wrote how it came to be a part of your life. memories to be made with soft cuddly blankets..xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Sally,

    Can you tell me where you get your wool from?

    Cheers
    Rochelle

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.