Thursday, April 15, 2010

my creative space :: flannelette fancy

Not too long ago I sewed these pyjamas for my children using flannelette.E's checked PJsM's duck PJs It was the first time that I had sewed with flannelette and I must tell you that it was wonderful. No need to pin – the pieces of material stayed stuck to each other as I whipped them through the sewing machine. A dream to work with. Lots of fun indeed.

The process got me thinking though just how little I know about all the different types of material that are available. I am naturally drawn to cotton and linen. Within just these two categories there is such diversity and scope. Walking the aisles of fabric shops I’m regularly confronted with materials that I know little to nothing about. So now that I have been sewing for almost twelve months I’ve come to the decision that I should learn more about fabric… starting with flannelette. Now that the nights are colder these pyjama sets need some long-sleeve tops and so my adventures learning about fabric begin with flannelette. Knowing that I would be investigating the wonders of flannelette I took my boy fabric shopping to choose some flannelette for another pair of PJs. This is what he chose:

pink flannelette Ghastly isn’t it?

Thank goodness he isn’t expecting the entire family to be wearing matching PJs using this fabric, but I suspect his younger sister is going to luck out and end up with a pair made from any left over.

His decision was rather a hot topic amongst staff and other shoppers at the small textile store where the pink flannelette fabric was purchased. One other shopper, with her son in tow, just couldn’t get over the fact that he had chosen pink. Meanwhile the shop assistant felt compelled to take my son to the remnants table to show him a piece of cotton with fire trucks and police cars all over it – which he dutifully declared that he liked very much, leaving her feeling very much relieved and me feeling very much compelled to purchase.

So watch this space for my write up about all things flannelette… well, flanny PJs anyways – and now head on over to Kirsty’s place where creativity abounds.

26 comments:

  1. Love the little matching singlets. I used to co-ordinate plains with patterns for my children's pjs. Maybe you could do something similar to tone down the pink - say green top with pattern pocket and pattern pants? Or not. Cherrie

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are great... interseting isn't it that people get so shocked by a boy choosing pink! we are so conditioned...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I suspect your guy has been reading about my Little Guys grandma shorts in your comments and thought “I should get in on that laree pink pants action”!!! They are two little style masters!! Good luck with the fabric experimenting. I have been experimenting with burning lots of different fabrics for my flowers….

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those pj's are great...Well atleast we know he has a strong opinion about things regardless of what others think :0

    ReplyDelete
  5. Its great to be different!
    Its these kids of creative people, they are confident enough to like what they like!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My kids LOVE flannelette. I guess I should break out the machine for new PJs. Yours look lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good on your boy for standing his ground. Sheesh, it's tough out there when you can't even make (obviously controversial) jim jam decisions without setting an entire shop a'dither!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Flannelette is the best. I still get my mum to make me flannelette pj's and i'm 27! I was very popular in my uni days too, people were always sleeping over at my house and nicking my pj's! And sure, the pink might not be to your taste but I think it's great he has an opinion at all - i think the men in my life just humour me when it comes to fabric decisions. I also agree with Cath @ chunkychooky, we are far too conditioned these days with regards to gender stereotyping...

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's wonderful he got a say in it. I need to sew myself some of these very soon too! Maybe not the same fabric your little darling chose though...

    ReplyDelete
  10. To be honest I agree with your son-love the fabric! Maybe i am biased though as my sons favourite colour was pink...right until he got to primary school. Sadly peer pressure was very influential and in the very first week he came home and annouced to me, "mummy my new favourite colour is yellow..." then leaned in to whisper, "but pink is my secret favourite." Anyway your pjs look adorable and letting your son choose is so sweet of you(I try to keep mine out of shops altogether!!) so well done.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like a fun adventure in learning.

    Kids will like what they like, eh. My little boy often prefers to play with his sister's purses and dress-up clothes, and yesterday he insisted on having his nails painted pink like hers. I think it's fun. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. this is such a great idea for the little ones
    personally, i think i quite like his choice :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh the boxes we are put into before we are even old enough to know we're being shoved into them... My 5 year old nephew loves pink too, but funnily enough he told his mum 'I don't tell anyone at prep that!'. I'm sure they'll look great. K

    ReplyDelete
  14. hehe, great choice to fabric hehe.

    I can't believe you have only been sewing for 12 months....crazy. You are so talented.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Those are just adorable!! I love them! xo m.

    ReplyDelete
  16. E's chosen PJ fabric isn't that ghastly, is it? Did I actually say that?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great PJs. I have some flannelette dinosaurs to do this with! Just have to do it!

    & I reckon your little fella was looking at the animals on it. That's what he likes about it. He doesn't see the big picture like we see. He was looking at the animals for sure. & they are cute!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Gorgeous PJs and I agree with what you say about it being easy to sew with. Love the stuff but its so hard to find nice prints sometimes that havent got Dora or Thomas or Princesses on!

    ReplyDelete
  19. The ducks are fabulous - but I would wear a Sydney Swans scarf to a Bulldogs match to see your family in matching PJ's in that fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  20. that's weird isn't it. if you are happy that your son chose pink flannelette - who is everybody else to try to talk him out of it?

    i do love those ones you made too - the motifs on the singlets are so so cute.

    and i'm also a natural fibres girl - its cotton all the way for me (not a big fan of linen - too much ironing involved), and flannelete is so lovely to sew. i am currently on the lookout for old flannelete sheets at the op-shop to make pjs out of. you can often find some fun and lovely prints there...

    ReplyDelete
  21. I haven't worn jammies for years but the thought of flannie jammies makes me yearn for some. Gotta love that snuggly, cosy feel. I love his choice too.

    ReplyDelete
  22. i love your pj's, i love flannelette and i love boys in pink

    ReplyDelete
  23. it's cruel old world. why shouldn't your son prefer the flannelette with elephants, even though it's pink? my youngest daughter is dating a guy whose favourite colour (and his dads) is pink and they're both mechanics ... it is a manly colour!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I must try sewing up some PJs for my kids, they all won't stop growing for a *second*. I love that your boy chose pink and stuck to his guns. (Pink was originally considered a colour for boys, being a watered down version of very masculine red!)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh lovely Pjs. It's always good to find fabric that behaves under the machine!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.