Wednesday, May 12, 2010

broccoli

broccoli

Finally our broccoli has started to flower. These plants have been in the raised garden bed over the course of the summer without any sign of flowers. Now, just as I was about to rip them from the bed to replace them with something more productive, they’re forming beautiful flowers. I love broccoli – it is one of my favourite vegetables. Perhaps it is the idea of eating flowers, certainly it is the fertile and vibrant green colouring – particularly after the flowers have been steamed.

8 comments:

  1. You're brocolli looks great! Ours never got that far. But then I spent forever getting all the little buggies out! grrr... not going to bother again. More buggies than food bits! hahahaahah

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know wjhat you mean about the idea of eating flowers :-)

    Last night my daughter was looking closely at her Broccoli and said 'hey! They look like little flowers!'. I was pretty impressed with her observation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. our had bugs this year too_ but the trick is to soak it in warm salty water (kills the bugs then they float) after you've cut before cooking, then rinse again. Great looking broc Sal

    ReplyDelete
  4. And I thought we were unusual waiting, waiting, waiting for the broccoli to flower! Ours has been fairly eaten by the cabbage moths, but it's started! Looking forward to a decent crop now. Yours looks lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have just put in some seed, yum I hope mine grows into something as lush as yours!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations. I'm eating my first here too!!! Your garden bed look fantastic!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Home-grown broccoli is sooo much better than bought stuff. If you just cut the first bunch off little side ones will come. They are never as big, but just as yummy as the main ones.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yummy! Home-grown broccoli is the best! The possums get ours every year, but I've got a bird-cage to put over the top this year.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.