Monday, May 10, 2010

the little things

Not long ago I bought…mgs I have no idea what they are called – but no doubt they’d have a fancy technical name. Essentially they’re a pair of scissors – for cutting threads. I tell you it has enhanced my sewing experience no end. It is the sound that I can’t get enough of. The excitement of sewing a seam is ten fold now that I know I get to use them at the end. The shoosh-y noise ending with a crisp cut. Love it. Currently this small aspect of sewing is providing me with one of my greatest pleasures.

…and just so that I can share this fabulousness with you here is a few quick seconds of out-of-focus video – it doesn’t matter that the picture quality is so shoddy… because it is the sound that is so … yep – you guessed it – ACE!

11 comments:

  1. Those scissors are Ace! I think their technical name is "thread cutters" - who would've thunk it? My thread cutters are pretty crap, must invest in a better pair. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Up here in the far North we call them snips. They are a must have for sewing. I have never liked using the liitle thread blade on my foot and did not miss it when I had to remove it to install my walking foot. My mom recently taught me how to use them as a third hand. (You know the kind that can't get stabbed by a machine needle?) Hers are a great pair of solid steel. Mine are more like gardening sheers from Fiskar but mine are razor sharp. Since mine have super narrow blades I use them in lieu of a seam ripper sometimes too.

    Happy new toy, I mean tool!

    ReplyDelete
  3. you crack me up! hahahahaa... Love the video. Yep I even watched it, or listened to it rather.

    I have been using those snippers for ever! I love them. My original pair cost me a lot but now they are everywhere & cheap as so I have them everywhere, including in the car! lol

    Enjoy your snippers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the video - yep you're so right it's the simple things ;) To me they're snippers! Have a few pairs scattered wherever I sew. Made dangle thingo's for the ends of them so can always find them - I'll post pics when the dust settles here! ;-)) Love your post. xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are such a dag! But ps I am too... I loved the video and it is an Ace noise.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't know what I love more - the snips, or the fact that you made a youtube video of it!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So funny :) and so totally understand! Kx

    ReplyDelete
  8. hahaha!! loved watching your video! the extra snips without any thread are the best i think, just for extra chances of snippy sounds. my mum had some when i was young but i think i will have to look out for some for me now.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hehe! I have an orange pair of them around somewhere and I always liked the sound as well. :D

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.