Tuesday, June 1, 2010

brushed cotton - repressed flannelette?

Immediately on spotting this pattern at a local oppy for the bargain price of 50c I just knew that I had to sew those funky pants for my gorgeous Master E.

mccalls 6682And then, as if by fate, I stumbled upon some brown brushed cotton marked down to a bargain price. The outcome, a very handsome pair of winter pants.brushed cotton pants

There wasn’t quite enough of the brushed cotton for the pockets – so I used some purple floral flannelette.

the pocket

In the back there is a little piece of ribbon sewed in – a trick I picked up from a very clever lady some time ago. I kept running out of cotton making these pants so there are three different colours of overlocker thread for this one garment. ribbon tag

So really – what is the difference between brushed cotton and flannelette? To my mind brushed cotton is repressed flannelette. It is soft and warm on the inside but too proud to show it on the outer – opting for a regular cotton appearance. A fabric that has succumbed to peer pressure perhaps? Or, at the very least failed to connect with it’s inner sensitive side? Even though the brushed cotton, just like flannelette, was a dream to sew with, I’m left feeling a little ambivalent.

13 comments:

  1. they are gorgeous! Now we need a pic of E wearing them. You wouldn't have thought they were a pattern like that though had you not shown them. I would have just figured it was a whipped up any old how pant.

    I love flannelette too. Made my first pair of pjs for BJ the other week. Am going to do the tag idea now too. Brilliant.

    Keep on being so clever!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The look like something I would have made years ago before I remembered how much I hate sewing checks. Well done. Love the idea of 'repressed' flannelette. I am sure your son will give it the confidence to stand up tall though so it will not be needing any psychiatric help. Cherrie

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh yes, very funky and smart indeed, love your work xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just thought flannel & brushed cotton were the same thing. Those pants look very smart and i especially like the floral pockets. Cute as.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great sewing, and at such a bargain price. Your boy will look so handsome in them. Happy days.
    Bev.xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now how about a nifty little vest to match?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE the ever changing overlocker thread. Lately I seem to subscribe to the Pah! To Matching Thread Club!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those pants are soooo cute. Very funky. I love the pockets.

    ReplyDelete
  9. They're very cool, and I never knew what was meant by brushed cotton before!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love them! great pattern! Does Master E approve?

    ReplyDelete
  11. They are fantastic Sally (sorry, Ace wasn't strong enough a word to tell you how impressed I am with them!). And I love the 'repressed flannel' comment. :O)

    ReplyDelete
  12. i love them. my son needs them. crafty yoU!

    ReplyDelete
  13. These are great pants Sal, glad the ribbon trick helped - my girls rarely put their pants on back to front anymore!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.