Wednesday, June 9, 2010

cauliflower, fennel and pea tajine

tajine in the pot

One of the great benefits of having had sick children for countless* weeks is that we’ve managed to get through our frozen “emergency meals”. In a recent post I reflected on who I was before I had children – I certainly wasn’t a person that fretted if there wasn’t a meal ready to go in the freezer. These days I like to know that there are plenty of meals on hand – ready in waiting for the afternoon from hell or when cuddles on the couch are needed or for those evenings when I’m just past it all and can’t be bothered. I usually freeze meals that can be easily zapped in the microwave and then served with some freshly cooked rice. In our effort to replenish frozen supplies (which frankly won’t take long because we don’t have a particularly large freezer compartment as part of our fridge) we’ve been making some new meals and freezing the left-overs.

Last night my partner cooked cauliflower, fennel and pea tajine. I can’t remember the last time we ate fennel – it has been too long. Apparently fennel contains properties that act as phytoestrogens:

Evidence is accruing that phytoestrogens may have protective action against diverse health disorders, such as prostate, breast, bowel, and other cancers, cardiovascular disease, brain function disorders and osteoporosis though there is no evidence to support their use in alleviating the symptoms of menopause. (from Wikipedia)

The aromas as the tajine cooked were divine and it tasted scrumptious. A really good hearty winter meal – which is rather odd considering that the dish originated in North Africa.

tajine

We ate the tajine with couscous. I don’t think I would serve it with couscous again as since there are lots of new potatoes it is already rather heavy. Also the dish isn’t particularly saucy so the couscous doesn’t get a chance to soak up yummy juices and as such was a bit dry for my liking. To my mind I think the tajine would be fine to eat on its own. Delicious.

world food cafeThe recipe is from World Food Cafe. Which at a glance appears to be filled with lots and lots of yummy recipes.

I’ve uploaded the recipe in PDF format so that it is easy to print out or save if you want to have a go at making this tajine yourself.

Bon appétit!

* such a lie!!! I am counting everyone of these sickly weeks – to date ten in all.

8 comments:

  1. oooooh love a good veggie tagine, haven't had one in a while. reminds me of my pre-parent life adventures in Morocco.
    fennel remind me of childhood, we'd always have them around, eaten raw.

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds good. Off to print now...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a new-found love of fennel and cauliflower is an old favourite. I have printed your recipe to try out - yum!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh yum, have been on the look out for new veggie recipies to bulk out our meat free days - will be giving this a try, thanks Sally!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I might just have to give that a go. We got a tajine for Christmas, but haven’t given it a whirl yet. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooooooo yummy scrummy. Yep me too Sal, love having meals in the freezer.
    I found the one thing I detest about living alone, onely one thing, is dinner for one! I know that comes from years in the food game so I always make more than one serve and freeze the rest. Great idea isn't it.
    Thank you too for your lovely comment - I very much hope our paths cross too. xo.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooh ooh, making me very hungry Sally, even though I've just finished my lunch!! :)) Think that partner of yours might just be worth keeping! ;)) Thanks heaps for the pdf. x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love fennel! Though I'm a bit funny about cauliflower - maybe an old hang up from when I was 6? But fennel is good. Really good!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.