Friday, July 9, 2010

firsts

I love sewing. I’m self-taught. One day I would love to take some classes – but in the mean time I’m trying to extend my skills by trying new things. I’m also trying to pay more attention to the materials that I use.

ensemble 1This ensemble is my first ever creation from Ottobre (1/2010). It is also my first ever go at shirring. I was so pleased with the result of this ensemble that I decided to make Ms. M another.

ensemble 2The tops are made with voile which was lovely to sew with and suits the shirring detail around the neck line and sleeves.

shirred neck line

shirred neck line 2

shirred sleeve

shirred sleeve 2

The pants have elastic waists. I’ve made elastic waisted pants before – but this was the first time that I had sewn the elastic to the pant itself. It worked really well.elastic waist

It was also the first time I’d sewn ruffles onto pants… or anything for that matter.

making the pant ruffle

ruffle 1

ruffle 2 I really enjoy sewing with corduroy. It is easy to move through the machine, it is pretty obvious which is the right side and the end result looks super (if I do say so myself)

pant 1

pant 2

 

The brown pants have a pocket on the back…pocket …it’s a bit wonky. I was brave and experimented with contrasting thread. Initially this seemed like it had been a bad idea – but the wonky orange is growing on me.

open pocket

The second shirred top also boasts the first time I’ve done a rolled hem using my overlocker. Again – very easy once I was courageous enough to take the plunge.

rolled hem 

I’m super pleased with all these firsts.

ms m ensemble 1Perhaps not the ideal out fit  for a cold day… but hey – it still looks good with some hardcore undergarments.

ms m ensemble 2 Just perfect for a sunny day at the park.

28 comments:

  1. awwww the pink and green combo is my fav - it's darling! well done Sally, you are an absolute star! She looks adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks fantastic - I think I have this issue of Ottobre and I am thinking I will definitely give at go now I know how good it looks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are just gorgeous Sally!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job Sally- I love shirring too. these are very cool outfits!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Somehow I don't think you need those sewing lessons. Self taught seems to be working out just fine for you. The sets are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  6. well done sal! i don't think you need the lessons, you are doing an excellent job of teaching yourself! so many firsts! miss m looks extra delighted with all her new clothes too :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nicely done! She looks so sweet in her mummy made outfits.

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow they are totally awesome & they look terrific on her! I reckon you have been doing this sewing caper for ever! Well done on your courage to try all these new things! Yay! & the pocket is bloomin' fantastic. It's all bloomin' fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm loving the contrast stitching - looks fab against the dark brown - and a little wonk is good for the soul!

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh wow these outfits are gorgeous you have done an AMAZING job they look soooo professional and very cute on!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I cannot beleive you are self taught I am tooo but it is so obvious I am... those tosp are so sweet! next stop: shirring for chunkychooky

    ReplyDelete
  12. They are such wonderful little outfits!! And Bravo to you for having a go!!!! Gorgeous..you must be super chuffed :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your sewing is just perfect, lovely! I dont believe you need lessons either, I dont think they could teach anything you dont already know!

    ReplyDelete
  14. They are all awesome Sally! Great work!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gee you are a clever lady. They all look really sweet on your little one. Good on you!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. They're both so very fantastic!! I dream of being brave like you sometime ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I don't see any wonky bits...they are fantastic and so cute. Isn't miss m adorable in her new play clothes. I love the corduroy as well.

    Well done for such a great job, you are a natural :-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm impressed - and inspired!!!! Shirring is something I have wanted to try but havn't yet found the courage. I'm determined to give it a go now. Thanks!

    Have fun shopping for a new tele :-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. You are one clever cookie. Love the little model too xxx

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love it all! Yay! Fabulous sewing and gorgeous model.
    Have a great weekend. X

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow, they look wonderful! I'd love to try shirring, but I don't have a little girl to make dresses fr, so I'm thinking of making a shirred dress for a friend. Love the pants!

    I'm teaching myself sewing too, mostly through sewing groups and blogs- it's amazing how much I've learned by people sharing their knowledge this way. Looks like I might have to see what I can learn from Ottobre!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Lovely lovely lovely...... I want some in grown up size please! I am inspired by your 'self taught' skill Sal! Ace. Peta

    ReplyDelete
  23. absolutely gorgeous!!! well done Sal, lovely ♥

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh Sal, what wonderful outfits. They are truly truly beautiful. My girl has blonde hair like your sweetie so these colours would really suit her too. I think I'm going to order this magazine, it's such a fabulous outfit. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow Sal, those are amazing! Great job. The pocket is completely adorable and doesn't look wonky at all! How funny I have both those fabrics you made the tops out of - as you know the paisley is the lining in my panel bag, but I made a reversible pinny out of the other fabric you used too! We obviously have very similar taste in fabrics.
    PS. Your little girl is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Fantastic Sal - all of it! The fabric, the shirring, tackling something new, the ruffled pants the cute kid - is there anything you can't do!
    I put off learning to do zips for aaaaages then had a go and voila -not so hard at all.
    Glad you conquered your fear of the thin elastic - well worth it wasn't it!

    ReplyDelete
  27. They are beautiful!
    Dont take lessons, Sally. Youre better off being creative in your head for a while and then later when you feel like youve exhausted all your wild imaginings, then, and only then, venture to being taught by someone who may not have been brave to try half of the things youve accomplished!
    Wendy x

    ReplyDelete
  28. Diving in with Topkids (now defunct) and then Ottobre is how I brought myself from able to thread a machine, just, to being able to actually sew things that look nice!! :D

    Your stuff looks AWESOME!! Well done!! :D

    (Oh, I have a perfect patch pocket tut on my blog, if you want to peek...I actually learned it from Ottobre, and it is the BEST WAY EVER, I think. :p )

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.