July’s sewing challenge is to make something with pleats. I started earlier with this challenge hoping to avoid last minute sewing to meet the deadline… but it wasn’t to be. I was hemming away madly this afternoon to get the my pleated garment finished. I did have doubts regarding my fabric choice and to date this Enid Gilchrist garment has been the strangest I’ve made but in the end it has turned out okay.
The pleats weren’t so tricky after all. I machined sewed them - no hand sewing pleats for me. I followed Enid’s pattern and as such the pleats change direction in the centre at the back but as the dress is a wrap around dress I think the knife pleats would work better following the one direction all the way around.
Regardless the pleats made a nice swishy effect as Ms. M moved about.
Much to my surprise I really enjoyed sewing the pleats themselves. I hadn’t foreseen this at all. As I sewed my imagination went wild with pleating opportunities. I fell in love with pleats for sure.
For more pleated projects head on over to Carolyn’s.