Saturday, July 31, 2010

july sewing challenge :: pleats

12monthsewingchallenge

July’s sewing challenge is to make something with pleats. I started earlier with this challenge hoping to avoid last minute sewing to meet the deadline… but it wasn’t to be. I was hemming away madly this afternoon to get the my pleated garment finished. I did have doubts regarding my fabric choice and to date this Enid Gilchrist garment has been the strangest I’ve made but in the end it has turned out okay.

the pleated dress

The pleats weren’t so tricky after all. I machined sewed them - no hand sewing pleats for me. I followed Enid’s pattern and as such the pleats change direction in the centre at the back but as the dress is a wrap around dress I think the knife pleats would work better following the one direction all the way around.

the finished pleats

the finished pleats side on 

Regardless the pleats made a nice swishy effect as Ms. M moved about.

the swishy effect

swishy pleats 

Much to my surprise I really enjoyed sewing the pleats themselves. I hadn’t foreseen this at all. As I sewed my imagination went wild with pleating opportunities. I fell in love with pleats for sure.

For more pleated projects head on over to Carolyn’s.

 

… but before you go one more super sweet shot of my darling girl.ah so cute

20 comments:

  1. I don't know which is sweeter Sal - the pleats or Miss M. Nah - take that back she's completely adorable.
    Nice job (on the kid and the dress!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely! See, just adorable, as predicted!! Well done on getting it done on time. You are an inspiration to everyone with your deadline meeting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That outfit is complete adorable. I reiterate - go the polka dot!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful, photo the wee model and the dress. I love your fabric choices, make for a very funky dress. She just looks adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh that is a lovely outfit. I love the fabric and your pleats are so neat. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness you have done a fine job! It looks awesome. ANd you have a cute model there too :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! Total WOW! It looks terrific! You did a great job of the garment! Pleats look perfect & the Little Miss looks perfect!
    Great pics!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's turned out to be wonderful, so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh cuteness. She is beautiful! And the dress is lovely. Nice one!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such cuteness!! The pleats look great in the polka dots :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so impressed with your pleating prowess! And I'm also really impressed that you're managing to keep up with the challenges. I would have fallen behind in January and would probably have declared defeat by this stage!

    Ms M is very cute :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. The pleats are terrific and the dress is just gorgeous!! Beautiful work! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. You've done a wonderful job on those pleats! In the previous post I thought that the skirt was for you, and loved it. Why should the kids get all the cool swishy skirts?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh so cute!! The dress and the model! well done you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That dress is so sweet, I love the way the pleats change direction at the back. Well done! Miss M is delightful as well :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yeah for such a great job. The pleats look super.xo

    ReplyDelete
  17. love your fabric combo- and the little model is absolutely adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Cute - I have the same fabric here in the stash - thinking it will be something for ME thought:)

    ReplyDelete
  19. It looks really cute on her!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.