Thursday, July 15, 2010

our creative space :: first stitches

first stitches 

I’m sharing my creative space with Mr. 3 again this week. We’d planned to go to see his first movie at the cinema today but unfortunately his little sister is sick and miserable and at home with us. He took the news that we’d have to cancel our plans quite gallantly, disappointed sure, but all in all ready to move on with the day.

Mr. 3 has been at me for a while now to teach him how to crochet. Frankly I don’t think I am up to the task, so instead today I showed him how to make stitches with a needle and thread. He was very good at listening and very careful when he held the needle. Indeed he was quite proud of himself for being so careful.

We held the needle together for the first stitch and then he did the second one on his own. I don’t think the photo above really does justice to all the hard work that was put into that second stitch. Keep in mind the boy is yet to colour within the line – getting that stitch on the blue line took a lot of concentration.

After fifteen minutes to create our two stitches we decided on a break. We’ll do some more stitching later in the day perhaps.

For more creative endeavours and hard work head on over to Kirsty’s place.

19 comments:

  1. how utterly gorgeous Sally! I love he is so wanting to learn how stitch and crochet. I can just picture you and him together too. You've painted quite a vivid image. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brilliant mama-work and kiddo-work. I'm very inspired.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's really quite impressive! I'm looking forward to when my wee one is big enough to do some crafting - hopefully she's interested!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh my, he is so clever. I tried to show Ava how to crochet after much nagging from her, I knew it would end in frustration and tears as that is what she does when she cannot do something, and indeed it did. "I can't do it!!!!". I was thinking if teaching her to finger knit might be ok. Have to teach myself first though as I hhaven't done it since day care days.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh you wonderful patient Mumma! I know too well the effort you must have put in. We did sewing with preppies and year ones and always needed a legion of Mums to help. He must be super chuffed...what a clever little man :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. How clever is Mr 3!! That takes a lot of dexterity to manipulate a needle and thread....is he also crazy about drawing and holding pencils?? My youngest was and still is mad about drawing tiny little pictures :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. How very sweet of Mr 3 to be wanting to do that with his mummy:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good on Mr 3! I'm looking forward to teaching times like that.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is so fantastical, I love it so so so much. I am so proud of him. Imagine how good he will be when he starts school? I am not up to teaching Busy yet... she hasn't asked...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mr 3 is very talented, I don't think I could get my 8 year old to sit and stitch for 15 minutes, so well done!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is so wonderful - I love it :) Much better idea than crocheting, I agree :)) Kx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awwwww... that is just so adorable and sweet. What a little trooper for being so gallant and what a little darling for mustering all his might and making those stitches. Thanks for sharing this with us. You've brought a very big smile to my face.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely :-)

    I think the photo does do that second stitch justice. I'ts beautiful. What a lovely 'first' to catch.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is so cool, what a wonderful thing to teach your wee one. I can't wait to be able to do this with my little one.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, fantastic effort Mr 3 and you as well Sal for taking the time and effort to teach him! My kindy kids loved sewing when we did it earlier this year but I didn't have a single one (of 37) say that they had done this before at home) So sad! Looking forward to seeing some more results when Mr 3 is ready to continue his very own WIP

    ReplyDelete
  16. lovely, it warms my heart to see the gentle arts being passed on to another generation. Go Mr 3, you are doing great - much neater than some grown ups can do...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.