Tuesday, August 24, 2010

little blue

blue velvet dressAs part of my endeavours to sew using a variety of fabrics I made Ms. M this little blue velvet dress. It is so gorgeous. Velvet has always been one of my favourite fabrics – the way the material absorbs light, it’s softness, it’s warmth.

It was a pain to sew with though. Fuzzy fluff everywhere.

fuzzy fuzzy overlocker

The overlocker was covered in a blue fuzzy fluff, as was the sewing table and the surrounding floor. Even so, this lush blue velvet was a dream to sew with.

little blue

I used a pattern from the 1980s that I scored for 50c at one of the local op shops. The style of the dress reminds me of my childhood.  The velvet is so warm that Ms. M didn’t need a jumper or coat and the free flowing style meant that it was easy to run in…

blue velvet dress and orange flower three photos

…perfect for exploring a cemetery on a cold winter’s day reliving the 1980s with her Dada.

bon scott grave @ freo

11 comments:

  1. This is so awesome - it just looks delightful and kinda floaty which seems funny to write for a velvet dress!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous dress Sally, youve done a fantastic job, (as usual)!...Is daddy a bit of an acadaca fan?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is a little odd to hear(read) someone speak of a cold winters day while watching a gorgeous little girl run around in a gorgeous little dress, without nary a mitten or coat to be found. Here int he great white north, a cold winters day means a ridiculous amount of layers, none of which are flattering on grown ups or easy to manouvre around in for wee ones. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the navy, just gorgeous:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this Sal, gorgeous colour and I know what you mean about the fluff. Someone foolish (who shall remain nameless) made a Santa suit in red velvet. That and the faux fur trim nearly killed my machine!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My Mum sewed my red velvet wedding dress and if I even mention the fabric she falls into conniptions. I on the other hand, ADORE wearing velvet. I bet that wee one does most excellent cuddle - especially in that dress!

    ReplyDelete
  7. just lovely, nothing like having clothes so super warm that you don't need a jumper. i'm getting a bit sick of jumpers and jackets myself! how are you going on the smocking?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Its just adorable! What a great mum you are to sew a pretty dress ... and use velvet to boot.

    (Its a fabric that has sent me to the very edge of madness - arghhh!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I experinced the same pain when I made Busy a red riding hood cloak out of velvet- the red fluff was everywhere- but I agree- worth it- so luxurious.

    ReplyDelete
  10. i love it, so cute, great choice of fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very sumptuous. Don't you just love childrens' patterns that endure from decade to decade. What a neat surprise the last photo was, thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.