Monday, October 11, 2010

the substitute

Sally has nothing to say tonight, so she has asked me to contribute. Actually, she has plenty to say about what I am writing: "You can't say that." ... "Don't start with a lie." ... "Why don't you say this." But she is too exhausted to write and put in the mental effort that requires. She may not be unwell (the lie I was going to commence with), but she has been drained by two sick children, both demanding her attention all day (and each preferring exclusive attention).

So Sally is doing some crochet and she asked me just to stop by and say hello. I don't have much to say so here is a list of some of my favourite recent albums from Africa. I'm going from memory so you'll have to forgive any spelling mistakes:

Nigeria Disco Funk Special - Various
In the Heart of the Moon - Ali Farka Toure and Toumani Diabate
Fondo - Henry Vieux Toure
Next stop Soweto vol 2: Soultown, R&B, Funk and Psych sounds from the Townships - Various
Secret Agent - Tony Allen

Lots of other great music from Africa, especially Mali, so check it out if you get a chance. Here's a clip of Ali Farka Toure to give you a taste:



Well, not much else to say. Been a while since I read a good book so I won't burden you with negativity.

Sally says hi.

6 comments:

  1. ...but you didn't really tell us who you are so i am assuming you are the Mr. because I would say " you can't write that " etc etc if it was my Mr.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Sal, hope you are nice & rested up soon!
    Send your sub in anytime! If that gives you a bit of hooky time, all the better. Hope the kiddos are well soon!
    & Hi Sub! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sally. Hoping you were able to catch up on some sleep last night. Cherrie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Blogtoberfest! I am on a mission to comment and follow all the blogs in Blogtoberfest! Maybe you could comment and follow me as well! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so funny......I love it! He sounds just like me sometimes.Present but don't always have something to say!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.