A little summer ensemble for Ms. M – some shorty pants, smock top and hat. The smock top and hat are made from poplin and gingham – the patterns are from this book. The pants are made from cotton broadcloth and I’ve made so many pairs of elastic waisted pants that I didn’t even bother to use a pattern!
This was my first go at sewing small pieces of elastic onto fabric for a scrunchy-gathered-up effect. My stitches are very very wonky. Not to worry – with the fabric being all scrunched up it is not very noticeable… and Ms. M doesn’t seem to mind. I do need to lengthen the shoulder straps though… I was worried that they’d fall off her shoulder but I have over-compensated.
She has been having lots of fun wearing this outfit in the fabulous spring weather.
All in all the smock top was easy to make and I am keen to have another go sewing on the elastic so Ms. M might well end up with a few of these tops for the summer.