Friday, November 12, 2010

spring time fun

smock top ensemble

A little summer ensemble for Ms. M – some shorty pants, smock top and hat. The smock top and hat are made from poplin and gingham – the patterns are from this book. The pants are made from cotton broadcloth and I’ve made so many pairs of elastic waisted pants that I didn’t even bother to use a pattern!

smock top

wonky stitchesThis was my first go at sewing small pieces of elastic onto fabric for a scrunchy-gathered-up effect. My stitches are very very wonky. Not to worry – with the fabric being all scrunched up it is not very noticeable… and Ms. M doesn’t seem to mind. I do need to lengthen the shoulder straps though… I was worried that they’d fall off her shoulder but I have over-compensated.

about to slide

She has been having lots of fun wearing this outfit in the fabulous spring weather.

All in all the smock top was easy to make and I am keen to have another go sewing on the elastic so Ms. M might well end up with a few of these tops for the summer.

5 comments:

  1. Wow, you're good! Really good! Ace job! Totally totally ACE!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is such a cute outfit, on just as cute a model. Who cares about wonky stitching?! Beautiful.
    Enjoy your weekend.
    Carmel

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a particularly lovely outfit on a very cute little girl :-) Fantastic work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. another beautiful outfit sal, makes me think of all the clothes my mum used to make for me when i was little and the ones that were my favourite. i don't know if she's kept any of them, she is a serial chucker, rather than the hoardiness of the rest of my family, but fingers crossed!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.