Monday, November 1, 2010

wool keeper

Where do you stuff your yarn?

Up until recently I used to shove the yarn I was working with in my bra if I was hooking while the children were around. You see they have this game that they both think is so hilarious – it involves ambushing me and then throwing the ball of yarn that I am working with across the room or in some instances running off into a far away corner of the house. Hmpf. The bra solution was working pretty well… but not necessarily comfortable, or aesthetically pleasing.

This little project has been in the works for sometime now. I knew as soon as I saw it on Christina’s blog that I would make one… it was  just  a matter of time.

And here it is… my very own wool keeper – inspired by the very one that Christina’s Great-Grandmother had made way back when:

wool keeper

I enjoyed the entire process of making this wool keeper. The stitches and the stamping – there was something very magical and wonderful about it all. I used a beautiful linen which added to the sense of whimsy this project had for me.

the motif

Christina’s Great-Grandmother had used feather stitch as a border on her wool keeper – but I decided to line mine instead. Inspired by the flower motif I made a lino cut and printed the fabric for the lining.

stamped materialinside the wool keeper

Dreamy. I love using it. Hanging my little keeper on my wrist as I hook. The connection it has with a woman I’ve never met or ever will. A woman who when she stitched her wool keeper could not have imagined a time when a woman on the other side of the continent would see it ‘online’ and be inspired to make her own a hundred years later.

… and if you too are stuffing your yarn down your bra then head on over to Christina’s blog to find out how to make one of your very own.

14 comments:

  1. Oh Sally, you have done such a wonderful job of this! I love how you have made it your own with the hand printed lining. The print goes so well with the embroidery. I hope you get lots of use out of it. Thanks for giving my tutorial a go too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is such an excellent idea. I usually have a long pull on my wool and it ends up at the other end of the room. Just love this idea. Your lining is special too. Cherrie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the combination of your embroidery and stamping on the one item. Fantastic. Looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh that is lovely, what a fabulous thing to make and use :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks great - I have a little sock box thinging - very handy:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh that's a terrific job! Looks great! You are so clever! & you have been very busy obviously!

    Yeah my wool flies around the room & places at times too! lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. what a great idea! yours looks very nice indeed :) my wool generally sits on my lap or beside me as i pretty much only hook while a sit on the couch. not the tidiest of solutions and generally results in a bit of cat fur in my crochet but oh well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sally, that is one of the most beautiful crafty things I have ever seen. I just adore the concept and the printed lining and the embrioidery. I wonder if you'll have to go down a bra size now.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a lovely idea - will have to add it to my to-do list! Love the printed fabric too. xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's glorious Sal. I think I need me a wool-keeper, although the only thing wool is used for around these parts is making 'art galleries' (which means William taking a ball of wool, unwinding it and tangling it around the entire loungeroom. Why it's an art gallery and not a booby trap, I just don't know).

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's brilliant! A brilliant concept but I also love the embroidery and stamping. You're rather clever, I think!

    P.S. I'm intending to say something intelligent about wants, but it might take me a few days to get what's in my head out! I'm thinking I'm in agreement with what you've said though, but want to say more than just 'yep!'. Stay tuned???

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just gorgeous! Love the stitching and stamping too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I missed this post but that is such a great idea and I love the stamping for the lining :-) Will have to make one for myself!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.