Friday, July 22, 2011

survival

I’ve been pretty quiet in the blogosphere this past month. We’ve been riding the cold and flu rollercoaster in these parts. I’ve been keeping well, but my little ones have been playing tag with fevers and the general winter blues. Absolutely amazing how much snot two little beings can produce.

P5164690

Thank our lucky stars that we have a thriving orange tree in the garden laden with vitamin C rich fruit. Freshly squeezed orange juice has been keeping me healthy even if the little ones have still succumbed to illness. Perhaps it would have been worse without all the orange juice?

P5164691

When I was a child I was often cared for by my maternal grandparents. My grandfather would squeeze fresh orange juice every morning.  I didn’t like it at all. The furry pulp and the tart flavour. Urk. I’d wait for my Nan to wake up before venturing into the kitchen with my grandfather… because she’d throw a couple of sugar cubes in with the juice which was much more to my liking.

P5164701

I can’t imagine putting sugar in freshly squeezed orange juice these days. It is so delicious just the way it is… although I will admit to occasionally straining out some of the pulp. I’d never offer to put sugar in the bubs’ juice either. They seem perfectly happy with it just the way it is.

P5164816 

I start maternity leave on Monday. Just six weeks to go until the arrival of our newest babe. I survived! I worked full time in paid employment, in fact I even did loads of overtime, cared for my children, my partner and myself. I did it. The children & the mister did it too. We all worked as a team and did it. They’re have been some hard moments but there have been lots of fun ones too. I’m surprised to discover that I am actually sad about ceasing work. I was really getting into the swing of things. No matter – there will be plenty of time to undertake paid employment in the years ahead. From next week it will be time to prepare for another type of work all together.

6 comments:

  1. Oh I loved the six weeks off... I seemed to get so much done and enjoyed the laid back feeling of no pressures ahead...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Freshly squeezed orange juice is the best and from your own tree would be even better!! Enjoy your Monday morning without any rush or getting ready for work/school!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum, I wish we stayed in one place long enough to grow fruit. Hope the house is good and healthy for a long while and this home stretch is nothing but perfect for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW - only six weeks away! Hope that you are all on the mend soon. Yum to freshly squeezed orange juice. How lucky to have your own tree. Take care. x K

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well done, Sally! I hope you enjoy the lead up to number three's arrival - what a big adventure. We leave on an overseas adventure on Friday and will be gone for two months. Can't wait to hear the good news when we get back. XXX

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad to hear you survived the full-time work.

    Drinking freshly squeezed orange juice at the kitchen bench with my grandparents it one of my fav childhood memories.

    Good luck preparing for the new baby. Enjoy x t.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.