Wednesday, September 28, 2011

dandelion

dandelion

The sun shined today. A break in the miserable weather we’ve been having. A chance to get out into the garden. With all the recent rains the weeds are rife. Out of control. Threatening total garden domination. It really goes without saying that weeds are not good. Ugly. Messy. Blah blah. But dandelions. Pretty. Enchanting. Fairy-like. Most of my time in the garden this afternoon was spent photographing this dandelion. A playful distraction to the real work of ripping out the multitude of weeds, dandelion included.

As a child my Nan and I would pick dandelions as we walked to the train station. There were lots and lots on the route from her place, growing along the fence lines next to the cracked concrete paths. We would pick them to tell the time: [blow] 1 o’clock, [blow] 2 o’clock… the number of breaths it took to remove all the spurs was the time of day. Fond memories.

6 comments:

  1. What a fabulous picture. You really are getting good! I think it would look great enlarged on the wall.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a real soft spot for dandelions too. Who cares that they are a weed and blowing means spreading the seeds...but my daughter and I pick them as we walk home from kindy and we are telling the time too.

    Thank you for the beautiful photo. Perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We like dandelions here too. My boys love to blow the seeds all over the yard.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous photo indeed. Weeds are clever, hardy plants that have the ability to grow where ever we don't want them to, aren't they? But some are quite lovely.

    Driving to Toowoomba on the weekend, there were so many little yellow and purple flowers growing alongside the road that were probably weeds, but just looked so beautiful.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stunning photo! I too love dandelion based on childhood memories and all the lovely fairy connotations. There were some in my garden recently and I picked them to blow only to get told not to do it near the garden coz we didn't want any more weeds!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stunning photo! We love that game too although these days I seem to get a bit light headed playing it ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.