Thursday, September 1, 2011

a new sleeping space

Three days before I went into labour our bedroom looked like this…

before

Thinking that we had at least ten days to go before our baby arrived (our older two children were both late) we decided it was time to paint our bedroom. The horrid pink-effects feature wall was created by the previous owners and totally not our style at all.  Already sleeping on a mattress on the lounge room floor owing to the dust plumes as the bathroom was being tiled (no it still isn’t finished – but it looks much better than when you last saw it) it seemed logical to paint the bedroom & wardrobes. Logical to the heavily pregnant woman anyways. Four sample pots of paint later a decision was finally made in relation to the shade of blue*.

The man about the house was half way through the first coat at one thirty in the morning when I suggested that he might want to watch the clock and keep track of my contractions. Looking after two smalls while the babe and I were in the hospital he didn’t have a chance to finish the job before we got home. It is all finished now…

after 

I’m so happy with it. We need to put some picture frames on the walls and hem the curtains… but there is no rush for that. We’re not sleeping on the floor anymore. The pink wall has gone. The wardrobes are fresh, the contents culled and a new organisational regime has been installed. It feels good. It feels like us.

van gogh no more

 

An unintended plus of cleaning under the bed (which I have resolved I will do more often) is that the pink embroidery floss required to finish Peppa Pig’s ear was discovered. Peppa Van Gogh no more.

* much to the relief of my partner who seemed fatigued by my lengthy discussions about the differences of said shades, the potential metaphorical meanings of each shade, yarda yarda, and kept protesting that he wasn’t qualified to participate in such discussions due to his colour blindness.

15 comments:

  1. I love it. It is daring and powerful but totally compliments your other goodies. Can I pinch your bed? Just my style. Cherrie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it Sally, what a perfect colour for the bedroom!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The change is so dramatic and I love how fresh the white looks against the colour. It will be such a haven in the summer. I think you have publicly confirmed your madness though! Still pulling the house apart with a couple of weeks to go....painting walls when you couldn't paint your toenails! I wish I had all that energy again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, the change is amazing! Looks elegant and classic and so so much better than before. How lovely to have a nice new and organised room as a reward for all your hard work popping out little O!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks fabulous Sally! So glad it's all done now - you must be feeling totally set up ;) Kx

    p.s. there was a smile of recognition here when I spied your breast feeding pillow ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a wonderful colour - amazing bedroom for you to sleep comfortably up off the floor!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Its lovely Sally. Might I tell you that paint finish is not to our taste either and virtually EVERY wall in our new house is painted in either yellow, pink or tan/orange tones of that textured suede look. Ah its a slow process but it will all eventually be gone. Enjoy sleeping in your lovely fresh space!

    ReplyDelete
  8. the room looks great...the blue is just lovely...hey and congratulations on your little bubba! hope life is settling down with a new little one x

    ReplyDelete
  9. That looks awesome! I can't wait till we own our own house so I can paint. I think it'll be one of the first changes I make.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That must feel much better, fresh and new, those paint effects are not the most attractive . I love the dark blue and the white, very nice. x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Phew, I had been really worried about Peppa Pig and her missing ear!
    Congratulations on the birth of your gorgeous boy. He's enchanting.
    Abbe

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the colour but I had to laugh when you mentioned to hubby that he might want to time your contractions...I bet that put him off his painting!

    ReplyDelete
  13. LOL, you are a very philosophical person even without raging hormones, so I feel for poor D :) But i must say I was hesitant when I saw the first photo with the different shades of blue, but the final result is ACE! I love it. It looks fantastic with the contrasting white too!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.