Monday, October 3, 2011

a goal for october

Today Cathy @ Tinniegirl wrote her ideas to assist with blogging everyday for the month of October. Between you and me I’m not going to get too cut up if I don’t blog every day. There is a newborn in the house not to mention the two year old and the four year old. I have my hands full.  In fact I think I will be disappointed with myself if I do blog everyday because it would indicate that I’m too obsessive compulsive for my own liking.

the cupboard

There is nothing obsessive compulsive about this cupboard. What a mess! I don’t regard myself as a hoarder and really this is the only cupboard of shame in the house, but when I started to sew I started to keep clothes in this cupboard rather than donating them to the local op shop.  Starting to sew and reading so many wonderful blogs inspired me to refashion bit and bobs. These days if something isn’t fit for donating I don’t just throw it away rather I salvage any good material, cut off all the buttons and take out any zips. I’ve become thrifty. Just yesterday I made a pair of shorts for the baby and some PJs for Ms. M with clothes that were destined for the bin.

The goal for the month of October is to start* stash busting the contents of this cupboard. It is all very well to keep clothes and materials to refashion but only if they get used, otherwise they might as well be donated so that someone else can use them. So that’s the plan Stan.

* please note that the goal is to start, not finish!

15 comments:

  1. I'm a bit like you - can't throw it away but finding time to upcycle has become more and more difficult!!

    I like your objective of starting to use more of this stuff. I have lots of jersey offcuts and recently bought myself an undies pattern for the kids which might have to be my go-to pattern to use up scraps! Is it dorky for kids to wear undies that match their t-shirts?

    ReplyDelete
  2. As soon as I finished reading this post I cast my eyes up to the pile of clothes nestled on my fabric shelf amongst all the other offcuts, remnants and new bundles of fabric. *sigh*

    My dilemma is that a lot of my clothing is made from silk fabric that my husband used to buy when he used to travel regular to Hong Kong. So, naturally, I'm waiting for a project that is "just right" before I cut into them.

    Still - I like your philosophy...it is all very well to keep them but only if they get used. Maybe I'll join you in the next month and see what I can turn the stash into.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck with your plan Sally. You have just reminded me I noticed my son had put some clothes in the green bin and I had pulled a shirt out to get the buttons from it. Hope you find lots of inspiration in the cupboard.
    Happy Monday.
    Bev.xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. A good plan indeed (Stan) I have just done a similar thing to my whole room which was a room of shame! I kept the clothes I loved the fabric of, the rest went in the op shop bag for someone else to love/upcycle! Today I made a couple of fringed scarves from old t-shirts and it felt great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Like you I have a hue stash of clothing waiting to up upcycled but in my case it is for me. That will generally mean combining a few garments. Unfortunately I started my stash a couple of years ago and have hardly done anything and many of my bright ideas are no longer seeming too bright. I might just cull some of mine so I can actually see the trees despite the forest. All the best. I am sure your start will be better than mine. Cherrie

    ReplyDelete
  6. ....I think I have a house of shame....

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a grand plan Stan, but man my whiole house looks like that one cupboard ... oh hang on, should I say in a more orderly, anal Virgo way. Yep take out the zippers, take off the buttons, waste not do want Mmmm good title for a blog isn't it ... DER?
    Haaaa seriously love your post. Love how you're Blogtoberfesting again too. I'm going for a post a day, easy she who has no babies and only Moi to please.
    See ya soon Darlingheart ♥♥♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  8. I applaud your initiative! I'm really quite amazed that with three little ones at home you find time to even think about blogging and upcycling. I have no kids and have trouble with both!

    ReplyDelete
  9. :) All the best with it Sally! It's a fine line between hoarding isn't!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I take off my hat to you Sally. Newborn, two year and four year old and you can blog!!!

    The cupboard is fine as far as I am concerned. CLose the door - NO ONE will know (wink)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh this could be my cupboard - I really need to do this - destash and get ready to move again - maybe I should take a photo and we could cheer each other on.

    ReplyDelete
  12. My goodness, that looks exactly like my cupboard. If you do this then I may need to!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I reckon that's a goal most of us need to take on board too. Sometimes I have to check myself and make sure I am not turning into one of those ladies that keeps everything "just in case"

    ReplyDelete
  14. I wish I could say I have a cupboard just like yours, but sadly I don't, we have a whole room instead!! I am forever walking into it and thinking that surely some of it must not be needed and could go but each time I only manage to tidy it and not throw too much away!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am in the process of reorganising my stash cupboards, note cupboards ;-) I think I keep way too much stuff but I can't bear to part with it. I am using it up bit by bit and have been good at not buying any more this year.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.