Monday, October 10, 2011

less three t-shirts

Three old t-shirts – stained, torn and stretched out of shape.t-shirts

Cut up and refashioned, using Ottobre patterns as a guide, into some new baby clothes for a thriving baby.for baby o

I haven’t sewn much with stretch fabrics. I figure using old t-shirts is an inexpensive way to practise and develop some skills. I’m pretty chuffed with how these have turned out – and already I have learnt loads – particularly about what not to do.

twin needles

This was my first ever go at using twin needles. I can’t say that it was a great success. Before I’d even finished sewing the onesie I’d broken them. It would seem that the bobbin making a crunching sound isn’t normal so one should cease to sew rather than pushing on ahead in denial. Not to worry. Chalk it up as a lesson learnt. In the short time I did play there was some success. This neckline turned out okay.twin stitching

… and now the cupboard is less three t-shirts.

13 comments:

  1. They are lovely!
    Aren't you clever!
    I was reading about the twin needle the other day, good on you for having a go. I quickly turned the page and thought too tricky for this little novice sewist. Did you make the binding for the sleeves and neck as well?

    What do you use to trace the patterns?

    xo Jen

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look great, Sally. Twin needles are great once you get the hang of it. I use the longest stitch length and stretch a little as I go. And go slow - especially over bumpy seams. I love to use twin needles to do hems and sleeve edges.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, these look amazing! Well done. I must admit, I'm so slack making clothes for my own kids, but this makes me want to!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great way to upcycle Sally! Cute baby clothes! I've been hearing more and more about these amazing twin needles - wonder if one would fit my machine?



    Jill @ Creating my way to Success
    http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. YAY - good stuff - I am impressed.

    AT least you gave the twin needle a go - I am not brave to...

    ReplyDelete
  6. They have come up real good. Impressed too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is so clever! well done you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow very impressive! Those twin needles look like the go for sure. Don't you need those needles with the ball on the end for stretch fabric? I love how little O's outfits have turned out, well done :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. The t-shirt and onesie are fabbo! It's excellent to recycle shirts. That way you don't feel bad if you stuff up or have the perfect project for the fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  10. They look very good, like you bought them at a store!

    ReplyDelete
  11. GADZOOKS Sal they're fabulous, onya Darling, you're bionic ♥

    ReplyDelete
  12. These are terrific! I've been wanting to try using a double needle but have been afraid I'd just break it- they are not cheap! I often sew through the crunchy noises and always have to rip out seams and redo later. Why don't I learn? I think you were right in calling it denial. Anyway, your thriving baby is going to rock these shirts!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.