Monday, October 17, 2011

a message from the universe

a message from the universe

I can’t knit. My Nan tried to teach me as a child but after a while she declared me a lost cause. A knitting no hoper. It was during my first blogtoberfest that I finally took up the hook and faced my “I won’t be able to crochet” fears, and now two years later I have a huge itch, a significant desire, something inside me bordering on a need… to learn how to knit. On Friday there was an opportunity to sneak into Lincraft and I spotted the “Born to Knit Kit” for the Save the Children foundation to the side of the check out. It was marked down from $10 to $5. The first sign from the universe perhaps?

Then yesterday crafting away will the crew from Brown Owls the question was asked “is there anyone here who doesn’t know how to knit?”. Mmm. To admit to it or just bow my head in silence? I am so thankful that I fessed up because a very talented knitter had “The art of knitting” pack to give away. Undoubtedly the second sign from the universe me thinks.

The challenge at hand is to resist the urge to rip the packs open immediately and get stuck in. There are so many other projects I really ‘should’* finish before I immerse myself in a new obsession. And it will become an obsession (providing that Nan was indeed wrong). I’m an all or nothing kinda gal.

11 comments:

  1. Ha ha! Definitely a sign from the universe! Good luck with your learning - look forward to seeing some knitted projects in the future on your blog!

    Jill @ Creating my way to Success
    http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cannot crochet... maybe we can make it 2012 the year for me to crochet my heart out and you knit your heart out?

    ReplyDelete
  3. knit girl knit! I can't wait to see what you come up with.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha, welcome to the dark side!
    There are heaps of knitting tutorials and videos on the net and lots of books as well.
    http://www.knittinghelp.com/ This is a great site that I still refer to!
    LMK if you have any questions that I might be able to help with.
    Most of all ENJOY!!
    Can't wait to see what you knit up!!!!!
    xo Jen

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are not alone, I can't knit or crochet...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't knit for the life of me! ha

    I stumbled upon your blog and just wanted to say hi!

    come on over and visit!

    colorissue.blogpsot.com

    xoxox,
    Aarean

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good luck :)

    I cant knit or crochet even though I would love to know how. My mom and aunts tried to teach me but gave up.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good luck! If you do find yourself a convert, I recently posted about the best beginner knitting books :). My grandma gave up on my knitting too, but I learned from a video last year and have been doing pretty well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Knitting is harder than crochet but it isn't impossible. Just remember when it starts to annoy you put it down and leave it till another day. Otherwise you will just start to hate it. Look on youtube as well because there are some great videos on there.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Rip those babies open and go for it!
    The other projects can wait....the desire to create cannot. Go forth and knit!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love that this is a sign from the universe, sent directly to you! I am curious about what you'll do for first projects... I am teaching a small class of adults and they have agreed that their first knitted object will NOT be a scarf. Those take quite a while and aren't we all programmed for instant (or near to instant) gratification. Consider cotton washcloths. They are quick, functional and a great way to practice new stitches. Oh, and you must join Ravelry!! It is like Facebook for knitters but so much better. Go there for free patterns and help.
    Good luck, looking forward to hearing about your progress.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.