Wednesday, April 25, 2012

to be a child

Ruth de Vos exhibition

Last night I attended the opening of Ruth de Vos’s exhibition “to be a child”. It was such a thrill. I spent the entire day looking forward to it. I first became aware of Ruth’s work at Stitched and Bound so I knew I was in for a marvellous treat… and I wasn’t wrong. If anything the pieces were better than I could have imagine.

Each quilt is a marvel. Ruth’s work has so much detail, depth, colour and texture. Hand died fabrics, hand embroidery, thread sketching, screen printing, machine piecing, digitally printed fabrics – so many components to her work. The imagery itself – wonderful perspective and point of view, longing and curious gazes of inquisitive children, chubby hands and bobbling heads, all captured with fabric and thread.

snap shot by Ruth de Vos image via

And the words. The insights. The record. A treasure trove in themselves. Ruth has captured childhood in all its glory, all its wonder.

If you’re in Perth you really must make every effort to attend. The exhibition is from 26 April – 5 May @ Central’s Showcase Gallery, 12 Aberdeen St, Northbridge. The Gallery Hours are Wed – Sat: 11am to 4:45pm.

8 comments:

  1. I hadn't heard of this so I'm glad you posted it! I have some spare time on Sat in Northbridge so I might check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMGsh wowwww have not seen quilts like this before.

    WAY so cool. Ummm getting my head spinning with ideas : o )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sally I was really taken by her quilts at the AQS last year - all the 'quilting' ladies knew her but she was new to me and I too was amazed at how perfectly she captured children and childhood moments.
    Lucky you to go along to the opening.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for coming, Sally. It was great to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, fantastic, must go have a look!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Also, on the subject of children and creative mums I thought you might enjoy this post... http://radicalcrossstitch.com/2012/04/18/the-making-and-baking-of-banners-and-biscuits/

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.