Wednesday, November 7, 2012

yarn along

water for elephants and shawl-collared jacket

Today, whilst watching the US election result unfold on ABC24, I started knitting my first ever attempt at a garment. Up to now I have only knitted blanket squares or dishcloths. Already it has been unravelled and restarted twice, but now I have come to peace with it and indeed have forged an understanding between myself, the yarn and the sticks that it’s a-o-kay for the resulting garment to be wonky and imperfect. Since this acceptance progress has been more merry.

Later tonight I’ll be starting Water For Elephants. I am reading this text as part of book club. I’m not familiar with the author or what to expect from the story. I’ve not seen the film. I always enjoy starting a text that I know nothing about. I have no expectations or ideas. I prefer to read the book before seeing the film too. I will watch the film once I finished the novel – it is always interesting to see how another has imagined the text. Don’t you think?

Joining in with Ginny’s Yarn Along.

10 comments:

  1. I love watching the films after I've read the book, but am usually disappointed. In this case I have seen the film but not read the book, it'll be interesting to see what you think.

    Love the colour of your yarn and glad you have come to some sort of understanding with it all :)

    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with your cardy. My mum always told me you can knit anything if you can knit or purl and it's kinda true. You-tube helps though doesn't it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The blue is great. You can do anything you decide to do. I rarely like movies made from books I like and when I do it seems to be very different stories that I happen to like both.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great book, i bloody loved it. And I enjoyed the movie a great deal too, there were some changes obviously but all in all, it was ace!

    ReplyDelete
  5. great job on your knitting! Love the yarn! Is it BWM? Such a gorgeous colour! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh I loved that book! I haven't seen the movie yet but I would love to.

    ReplyDelete
  7. good luck, you'll do great with your sweater! such a good book, i did like the movie too, i think they are getting better at translating. i hope you enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooh, a garment hey? Sounds interesting! I've read the book, but not seen the movie either. Sometimes I don't like to see the movie because it annoys me when it's not the same as how I imagined it and it ruins it for me! Depends on how many times I have read the book and how much I've loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oooh, garments are exciting! Glad you aren't being too hard on yourself. Sometimes trying to be perfect stops us from trying at all. And most people won't even notice your mistakes! I missed a twist in a cable pattern on a jumper for Cohen once. I was really upset about it and showed the sweater to my Mum and sister expecting them to pick it up straight away. They didn't even notice! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well done on venturing into the new world of cardigan knitting. Give it a good block when you are done and that will even out your stitches and help with the wonky bits.

    I have seen the movie but not yet read the book.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.