Wednesday, November 14, 2012

yarn along

yarn along 14.11.12

The back of the jacket I’m knitting for O is finished. It’s a bit wonky in parts but overall I’m really pleased with how it turned out. Possibly it will be a bit on the big side, but better that than two small. The boy is growing fast so it will fit him sooner than I’d like.

Finished reading Water for Elephants and met up with the girls from book club tonight. I enjoyed it. It’s by no means the greatest novel I have ever read, but the love triangle plot revealed itself in a captivating way and the circus during prohibition and the depression setting was captivating.

I still haven’t seen the film. I’m keen to see it now that I’ve read the novel. Not sure how the platinum blonde Reece Witherspoon got cast as a brunette? Why didn’t they colour her hair for the role, or have her wear a wig? Does it really matter? I suppose not.

The themes relating to growing older and caring for the elderly spoke to me the most. Remaining relevant in a rapidly changing world. My mind has been stewing over the issues relating to growing older for a couple of days now, but I’m still not really sure what I make of it all. What do I hope for myself or for others? I suppose the text has led me to wish for dignity, some self determination and good tasty food! Awful to think that at some point in my life I may very well become a burden to others just because of my age.

Do you ever think about growing older?

Linking up with Ginny’s yarn along.

6 comments:

  1. Since I'm over 50, all I think about is growing older :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think I *will* grow old. My mother died right after her 65th birthday. Her mother died in her early 60s. Of course there's a chance I'll inherit my paternal grandmother's genes. She just turned 97, and she's still sharp as anything.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your knitting! Love the colour! I bet it is made just beautifully!

    Won't read the book. It is about a circus. Yuck, I don't like them... I think to do with my hate of clowns! lol Glad you enjoyed it in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love that blue colour....I have just recently seen the movie but haven't read the book.....growing old....hmmmm seems to sneak up on us doesn't it. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It changes all the time too... what I thought was old ten years ago just doesn't seem to be that old any more!

      Delete
  5. I'm not sure I will read Water for Elephants, though I do own it. It just doesn't seem captivating to me. Good luck with the knitting!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.