Saturday, March 16, 2013

and yet again life has taught me I know nothing

waves crashing through at the crazy windy west end nothing screams awesome holiday more than loads and loads of snorkellingsunset over lakes and hillsfortyexploring

Right. Well clearly blogging has fallen a bit by the way side this year.  Reading this blog of late you might very well get the impression that I’m a lady of leisure, enjoying one long holiday. I can assure you it’s not true. February saw my darling Ms. M start kindy at the local primary school and in turn I increased my hours at work. There has been a new routine to get used too, new hours at day care, homework for E., and answering the eternally painful question “what’s for dinner?” … but nothing too strenuous really. Ultimately I’m blaming two pink lines for my lack lustre creative and bloggy mojo. 

shells yellow beaked gulls
pelicans sting rays

This past week we took a break from it all and headed over to Rottnest for five nights. Awesome. We celebrated my darling darling Dave’s 40th birthday, swam, snorkelled, meandered along the beaches, climbed rocky shore lines, built amazing sandcastles, observed loads of animals (not just quokkas), ate delicious yet simple food, rode bikes along the sunny wind swept coast line and through a wet and cold electrical storm. Most amazingly wonderful holiday ever…. except for being way too short and ending with a bit of unexpected drama.

fur sealsgetting up close and personal with lizards on the beachfinding shellsspotting crabs

Our last full day on the island was stormy. Literally and figuratively. Our family got caught in the middle of the island riding the bikes we’d hired in an impressive storm. The thunder was loud and the lightning was shockingly bright. Pure awesome. Our smallest two were dry and content in the bike trailer and Dave, E. and I were all happily soaked through enjoying our adventure… until E. had his first ever real McCoy stack. Super impressive. Wish I’d been videoing it for him because he really did fly though the air in what I’m pretty certain was a kind of legs out straight summersault motion. Unfortunately, and understandably, E. didn’t really appreciate the impressiveness of his stack there and then… it was what could be described as a mood changer. In the middle of the island, really really cold and wet, in the midst of thunder, lightning and harsh winds, with about seven kilometres to cycle to get back to our accommodation, E. decided that he didn’t want to ride his bike anymore.

riding in the rain

His father, who is much more sympathetic than me, humoured him for a while and we all walked our bikes. Drenched and cold. Eventually he was persuaded to get back on and ride… but he sobbed the entire journey home declaring that he would never cycle again. It was tough riding, especially into the wind along the causeway between the two salt lakes. The wind was driving the rain into our eyes and we could barely see. We made it home though. Both Dave and I were super proud of him, and by the time he’d made it into the hot shower he was proud of himself too looking forward to his next cycling adventure…

Ms. M and the quokkaO. just loving it all E. climbing rocks

… and this is where  I found myself, relaxed and relieved under the hot water with my three children, enjoying a good giggle about our crazy day out when at eight weeks and five days pregnant heavy clotty blood started streaming down my legs. There was red everywhere. I called for Dave and he ushered the children away to get dressed and eat the hot pasties he’d bought from the bakery on his way back. I stood, like a statue in the shower willing it to stop – if only I could stand still enough. It didn’t stop. After settling and distracting the children Dave came back for me, and clearly shaken himself, helped me across to the toilet. There I passed three large masses of bloody material, we could hear them “kerplonk” in the toilet’s water, I could feel them pass, I was cramping and shaking all over. I was in shock. I’d miscarried. Looking in the toilet I could see nothing but a mass of blood. Eventually I got myself together but then was faced with the idea of what to do next. I didn’t really want to flush my baby away but not knowing what else to do together Dave and I pressed the button. Still in shock I managed to hold it together for the remainder of the afternoon and we decided to catch the earlier ferry home the next morning.

a snorkling self portrair

I didn’t sleep at all that last night on the island. I thought about my lost baby, about all the planning and day dreaming that would no longer come true, I fretted that at my age I wouldn’t be able to get pregnant again, that this was by body’s way of telling me it was time to shut up shop. I convinced myself that I was being silly and that I would be able to have a baby again at sometime down the track, and that really it was better this way because if I got pregnant in a couple of months that would be a much better age gap between O. and the new baby. I was pissed off too because I’d missed out on having wine when we went out to dinner on Dave’s 40th birthday.  By morning time I really had sold it to myself that it was all for the best and having a baby in 2013 was one of my worst ideas ever. It was a lucky escape.

The tears started as we left the island. I wasn’t ready to abandon my baby, but I did. I hid behind dark glasses and kept a strong focus on breathing, the moment and the three gorgeous and wonderful children that I did have.

Still cramping and bleeding when we got home Dave drove me straight down to the hospital. I sat alone (because who wants to wait with three overtired children?) for the next four hours, initially waiting to see the administration clerk, then the triage midwife, then the  phlebotomist and then I was finally seen my the midwife. There was a lot of waiting. A little bit of knitting. Quite a few quiet tears. Lots of thinking.

Behind the drawn green curtain the midwife explained to me that my pregnancy hormone and gone down from the last test I’d had a couple of weeks ago and confirmed for me that I’d miscarried. And then the flood gates were opened and the tears gushed out. “I knew, I knew” I said. I’d always felt this pregnancy was ill fated. So much spot bleeding from the word go. “I knew!”.  The kind and caring midwife gave me loss pack and a brochure on miscarriage and loss and we started to arrange for me to come back on Monday morning for a scan to check that I’d fully miscarried. It was early Friday evening my this time. Unexpectedly a doctor came by and offered to do a scan to check the baby. I explained that I’d lost it, and the midwife explained that at eight weeks my pregnancy hormone was on the way down.

Nonetheless he seemed to think that it wasn’t completely a waste of time to have a quick scan. I lay on the bed and braced myself for an empty womb as he got the equipment ready. I turned away from the monitor… until he said in a loud voice “Look at that!”. That… a moving baby, a big moving baby. What the fuck? Well if I had cried hard when the midwife confirmed for me that I had miscarried I was bawling three times harder at the sight of that squirming baby. The most surreal moment of my life. I truly felt like I had gone insane. The doctor kept giving me information, “you’re not eight weeks pregnant – you’re more like thirteen”… not possible I explained, in January I’d had an epic two week period, one of the heaviest and scariest in my life. I’m almost thirty-eight years old, I’ve been menstruating since I was in primary school – you’d think by now I know what a period was!?!? Apparently not.

I know nothing.

Strangest thirty hours of my life.

36 comments:

  1. Wow Sally! Looks like its meant to be. Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww congratulations Sally (and Mr Virtu & tribe!!) sending you good cyber thinks, hope it all goes perfectly from here on in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing Sally! best wishes to you xx.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my, oh my. Congratulations that all is well, but what a time of it you have had. Take care, and best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. O Sally. Sally. What a heart breakingly happy story. Please rest and take care. I am so happy your baby is in there squirming around. If you ever have to go through such a time again forget hygiene and take those lumps out of the toilet and wrap them up in toilet paper of put in a jar. It will make diagnosis so much easier and quicker. Loads of hugs to you. Cherrie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wowsers! What a scary situation to be in. I am sooo happy that things seem to be turning out well though. Take it easy and look after yourself. x (btw - I bled pretty constantly through my first two pregnancies, some days so heavy that I thought that was it. But I have two big boys to show for all that worry!)x

    ReplyDelete
  7. HOLY HECK WOMAN!

    Holy heck.

    Here's to some smooth sailing (and without the straight leg somersaulty stack bizzo) from here on in).

    This baby of yours is going to have one big personality. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Sally and family

    Congratulations, take care. A lovely post today, that Doctor was meant to be there at that moment.

    Happy days.
    Bev.xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Sally I bet it's 30 hours of your life you don't want to repeat. I am so so glad that all is ok and congratulations!!!!! Take care. xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. That baby wants to be in there. A huge congratulations. Now behave baby and don;t give your mumma any more scares.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What an amazing story. What a wonderful turn around, but what a journey. You poor thing :-)
    when I went for my first ob visit with my second pregnancy the obstetrician couldn't find a heartbeat and sent me down the corridor for a quick scan, which showed... twins! i went from no baby to two in a moment!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh I just bawled!! So great Sally, big big hugs! Xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh Sally what a story, and what a whirlwind of emotions. (for you and your readers!) When reading the first part I was reminiscing about trips to Rottnest island and marvelling at all of the wildlife you saw, then I was imagining the storm fuelled riding and terrible tumble and then I was balling my eyes out reading about a baby lost. Then I was incredulous at a baby so determined to be part of your beautiful family. Wow Take care xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Omg, hard to imagine what you went through, needless to say but as I write this I am crying and have snot coming out of my nose - charming image hey! Congrats to you, your hubby and your ultra cute children & I hope the remaining 6 months go smoothly for you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh Sally you had me in tears too! How sad and at the same time how wonderful. Miscarriage is a terrible blow to us both physically and emotionally. We must believe that nature knew best if that's what it was? I bled a lot with my last child. It's scary but my doctor just told me that all pregnancies are different and we sailed they to having a beautiful 10lb baby. Rest up and stay well, can't wait to knit some more baby presents. Xx. PS I loved the photo of you snorkeling, you should IG it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. OMG what a story. What an incredible journey. Big hugs to you xoxoxox

    ReplyDelete
  17. Dear Sally, soooo amazing. Divine happiness to you and your beautiful family. The Bhcg level normally decreases from 10 weeks gestation. Always best to check. Blessings for the rest of your journey xxx.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I went on a serious roller coaster ride reading your post today - wow! Im so thrilled for you that you got such amazing news in the end. Hugs to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh Sally! Congratulations to you and I'm so glad the little one hung on in there. I hope the rest of your pregnancy is uneventful!

    ReplyDelete
  20. OH Sally what a whirl wind of emotions and I'm so sorry you had to go through all that. But SOO happy at the outcome!! Big congratulations and love to you xoox

    ReplyDelete
  21. Sally! Oh my goodness! That is so scary, and wonderful, and shocking, and unbelievable, and wonderful. I can't imagine what your emotions are like at the moment! Wishing you all the best for the next few months!

    ReplyDelete
  22. WTF indeed! I am in shock just reading this so I can imagine what you thought! So how come there was a big bleed? Are you both okay? Gosh, I am still reeling at this story - now sit down and put your feet up and don't do that to me again! LOL - Seriously hope you have a very uneventful time from here on, and think 5 weeks shorter wait than you thought!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks for the amazing post. And Congratulations!!! You have been through a hell of a lot! I know what it feels like to have to push that button...I sat there for ages too...not know what to do...but I am so glad your bub is doing well! Good luck in the next six months! Take it easy and rest up, hopefully your body will settle down with the bleeding...mine finally has this time around! It's so scary whenever you get blood during a pregnancy, a heart dropping moment every time. Thanks so much for sharing - Thouraya

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow, what an amazing story. All the best for your, your little one and your family...

    ReplyDelete
  25. ooh Sal, what an emotional time, so happy it was all a false alarm. wow, so happy for you.
    if i ever get back to blogging i'll share my emotional couple of days that had me doubting i even had a baby in there in the end.
    all good now, but i still worry myself at times when i don't feel the kicks.
    wishing you a smooth journey x

    ReplyDelete
  26. wow! totally wow! What a ride... But congratulations are in order all the same!

    Hugs to you...

    ReplyDelete
  27. and what did Dave say when you got home after that appointment?

    ReplyDelete
  28. Well that is entirely enough excitement for one pregnancy I think!! Wow, congratulations to you and Dave Sal. I wish you 27 uneventful weeks ahead. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  29. oh sally! i have big fat tears streaming down my cheeks!
    terrifying and joyful!
    the biggest of congratulations to you and dave and e, m and o!
    xoxoxoxox

    ReplyDelete
  30. Oh, Sally. What an ordeal, but what a freaking happy ending to this story. What a baby! How wonderful that the doctor acted on his hunch and scanned you then and there.
    Hang in there lovely, lovely lady.
    I've got tears streaming down my face as well.
    Hugs and massive congratulations!!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  31. Congratulations! I'm in tears here. I am glad everything worked out for you... another baby, huh :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. Hi Sally - I am not blogging any more but once in the while will check my favourites. What an amazing story. It only seems yesterday you were wondering to me how on earth were you going to manage three - I envy your strength and belief to have a fourth. We would love one but also know it would really mess up our family and lives. BUt that is alright as we have been given these children and we choose this gap. I had a very similar experience with my second so I could feel it all again. The explanation I was given was Oliver possibly had a twin which not uncommonly 'miscarries' or gets dissolved before it goes to far along. Have faith that the pregnancy will be alright and there will be a live and well baby at the end. Oliver is the sweetest and most caring of our children. It could also be a middle child behaviour... Keep well xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  33. Oh Sally, how traumatising for you! Thank god it ended a bit more happily, if somewhat confusingly. Hopefully you get some more answers about what was going on at your next appointment and fingers crossed that everything goes smoothly from here on. If you need someone to watch the kids so you and Dave can go to an appointment I don't work on Tuesday or Fridays so please feel free to ask!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  34. Hi Sally - what a time you have had!! Sending you big hugs and lots of positive thoughts. Keep well and take care.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Hugs, hugs, big hugs to you, Sally! I cried with you in that post....and smiled in the end, tearing up.

    What a whirlwind of emotions that must have been for you and your husband. I'll keep all crossables crossed for you and you baby darling.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.