Unveiling my third quilt, the first undertaken following a pattern. I didn’t do so well following the pattern (found in this book) exactly… I reduced the number of squares making the quilt smaller. Ever since the bedroom reshuffle and the loss of my crafty “grey room” I’ve been thinking of stash busting – there is only so much space for my stash under our bed!!! It is tricky to gauge how successful the stash busting element of this project was – “I need to buy fabric to bust fabric” may have passed my lips as I asked Dave to drop me off at Spotlight to buy the khaki green sashing fabric. Still I did manage to use up nursery rhyme printed fabric. Rather than buying batting I used up excess white polar fleece which makes the quilt a lovely light weight. For the backing used some plain old calico taking up space in the cupboard. There is something really charming about the simplicity of natural calico. I’ve always liked it.
Originally I attempted quilting in the ditch. It didn’t work well. I couldn’t stay in the ditch and it just looked too wrong with the contrasting cotton. Stitching next to the seams seemed to work so much better. I am really chuffed with the end result.
Nursery Rhyme Quilt
1160mm x 1160mm (45” x 45”)
Polar fleece batting
Plain natural calico backing
Quilting next to the ditch in contrasting cotton thread
… and because I simply can’t help myself – some gratuitous photos of my darling baby boy on said quilt: