Thursday, December 19, 2013

five

five

five candles

My baby girl turned five last Friday. Five!

We threw her a birthday party and sweated it out in the forty degree heat… it was all worth it – at the end of the day she declared it “the best day in her life!”.

The day before she got her ears pierced – she chose pink gemmed studs. I wasn’t allowed to get my ears pierced until I was ten years old. When M asked me if she could  I explained the process and pain in exaggerated terms – she was undeterred so I figured there was no apparent reason why she shouldn’t. The process has changed since I was a girl – no gun, no bang. Easy peasy. She was brave… and I must say she does look very sweet with her pink gems. Her brother has subsequently declared that he wants plug piercing … I’m thinking that perhaps this falls into the same category as tattoos and he’ll have to wait until he’s an adult. (Just quietly - I think this style of piercing will really suit him!)

Turning five has been the birthday of the Barbie doll for M. She’s never had a Barbie before – I didn’t want to give her one until she asked for it. I suppose because I want her to have her own childhood that reflects her interests and passions not a re-run of my own or one that is a retailers dream. A couple of months ago she started asking and so she was gifted a Barbie from me, a skipper from her brother and some more Barbies from her kindy friends. She was also fortunate enough to receive Barbie stickers, pens, books… and it goes on. I sewed some Barbie clothes for her too! (I’ll take some photos of Barbie modelling them to share with you later)

… and of course for her birthday she received some Mama made dresses… including the one she is wearing above. (Again – I’ll get some photos soon… it’s just so hectic around here just now)

The birthday cake is the chocolate beetroot chocolate cake again. It just stays so moist and it’s a big batter – perfect for a party and a 12” tin. M wanted a Tinkerbell cake similar to the Dora cake that I made for her third birthday – but it was just beyond me this year – especially since I had to trek it to the beachside park twenty minutes away. Instead I convinced her of the logic of a round cake (that would fit into a container) with an edible Tinkerbell image. To make the cake a bit special I filled the centre with pink smarties so that when she cut it all the smarties fell out. No photos though… her Dadda and I were too busy juggling 20+ kindy kids at the party to think about grabbing the camera. A bit of my heart breaks about this – if you didn’t realise I enjoy a good photo – but I must remind myself the importance of actually being in the moment. There will be times in this life when I just need to commit moments to memory rather than to a jpeg. It was funny as we cut the cake together – even though I had only put the smarties in the cake and iced it that morning I had clear forgotten that I’d done it and was surprised myself. I couldn’t stop laughing – at myself and at the smarties – you had to be there but rest assured it was a delightful & treasured moment.

It was a great day... followed by a not so delightful night - a family struck down with gastro! Wiped us out for the entire weekend.

... and now on to Christmas...

8 comments:

  1. That's weird, this has only just shown up on my page as being posted - 4 days ago! Ekkk!

    Beside that, She looks gorgeous in her new dress! Love it! The cake is lovely! What a lovely day! Best day in her life... love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, happy birthday sweet girl! We've just had a fifth birthday here too. So much fun and excitement. So sorry to hear about the gastro bug. That is my nightmare - my husband usually withstands it, but I always end up with whatever the kids get! Hope you have a wonderful Christmas and find time to pick up the camera for a couple of photos. We went through (2 years!) of photos yesterday and got them printed, and so many memories came flooding back. It was wonderful. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday! What a great day she had :) Hope you're all feeling much better and merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh don't know how I missed this delightful post...Happy Belated birthday...looks like it was a very sweet pink celebration indeed. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. gorgeous! I love how you surprise yourself! Five oh my that is getting on! It feels like yesterday Miss M turned 5. Will she be heading off to big school in Feb?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Birthday to your sweet girl - she looks very pretty in pink. And how did you manage to keep Barbie at bay for so long - well done :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy belated birthday M! Looks and sounds like a great day :)

    This is so exciting! Am I allowed to make Miss M some Barbie clothes? I have two vintage patterns here that my mum used to make for ours - have always wanted to make some myself but have not known any girls that own or are interested in Barbie.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy birthday M! What a delightful birthday, exploding smartie cake, gorgeous new clothes ears pierced and barbies! She must have been on cloud 9.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.