Saturday, December 28, 2013

so that was christmas

chrissy morning 2013Christmas. It’s been and gone for another year.

I can feel pretty ambivalent about the entire event to be frank. It is a lot of effort for one day. There is no other family here in Perth so once again it was just “us” for Christmas – although of course this year we welcomed our little ace.

I’ve been shopping and organising gifts for months, well before baby was born. Elf work is tricky stuff, most especially so finding sans children time to undertake it. Still we got there in the end… and I fell across the finishing line absolutely exhausted and questioning the entire thing – that is until I saw my kiddos smiling faces, grinning from ear to ear on Christmas morning. That made it all worth while. Those smiles reminded me why I put in so much work and effort and why I allowed myself to get so stressed. Every year I promise myself I’m not going to get so stressed about it, and I guess there have been years when I’ve managed to be more relaxed – but this year I suppose  throwing an extra child into the mix combined with a dose of sleep deprivation equalled higher stress levels than I would have liked. I just feel so much pressure to create beautiful memories for my children, moments that they can look back on with smiles from ear to ear. Time will tell I suppose.

Festive Feast 2013

A couple of years back we started the tradition of having our Festive Feast on Christmas Eve rather than the big day itself. We feel more like eating at night than in the middle of a hot Perth summer’s day and it means that no one is stuck on the kitchen preparing when there are toys to be enjoyed. Added bonus is that there is no meal prep at all due to the loads of leftovers that usually get us through to the end of Boxing day. Good stuff. This year we had red wine caramelised onion and goats cheese tartlets, zucchini with mint and fetta quiche, gruyere and black pepper pop overs, fiesta salad, quinoa & pumpkin salad for the main meal. For desert there was baked custard, apple and blueberry pie, green jelly, chocolate of all sorts and a plum pudding. Christmas morning we had the traditional coffee, croissants and fruit salad to keep us going. My my my … so much food. Ridiculous, to me anyway – but the feast is important to my partner and inturn is therefore important to me.

Ordinarily for our evening meal we like to cover the table with tea light candles… but this year we had to enjoy our meal with them unlit  due to a little two year old helper who confused Christmas with birthdays and kept blowing all the candles out! Same two year old was totally freaked out by the crackers and it took some cajoling to get him to re-enter the dining room. 

Ode - all things bubbles were his favourite this yearMae - Ben & Holly's Little Kingdom was a big winnerEbe - looking forward to camping with his new chair, sleeping bag and air bedAce - a penny for his thoughts... I wonder what he made of all the excitment?

The big man in red apparently paid us a visit. I told them all not to worry – and I can tell you there were moments there when they were truly worried about landing on that naughty list – all children are good at heart and no one would miss out. I don’t buy into the whole potato or lumps of coal in the sack stuff… perhaps that’s why my children feel so free to be naughty? There is only so far I can buy into the Christmas caper – and for me setting a standard that I can’t attain myself is just too much. We’re a faulty bunch in these parts, but we mean well and have hearts of gold.

mae's artworkmade by ebe 2013

Gotta say I was well and truly chuffed with all the festive making by M. and E. this year.   Our little Ms. M is really getting the hang of colouring and drawing while E. made some uber cool ornaments for the tree and drew a rather menacing Mr. Claus. I adore his mean eye brows and growling expression – no wonder he felt like he did as toddler if this is how he views the jolly man.

baby's first christmas

So how was your Christmas? Merry and festive? Or like me do you find yourself at times feeling a bit ambivalent about it all?

5 comments:

  1. Lovely set of pics! Love their pjs. Great job! Lovely Christmas by the sound of it.

    Yes, I sometimes feel the same. I love the preparation & the excitement though. But then I find myself questioning the amount of time put in once again for a single day... But then I am reminded by the excitement & smiles & joy of the occasion by the 2 little guys & it is all good. I love it. I love that they love it. I love that all the little bits of fuss & bother I have gone to was worth while for the little guys... actually for those that came for dinner too. It was all good... Kids are a good reminder of fun & magical moments & keeping things light. Now though I wonder how long it takes for the kids to recover from so much excitement!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your family traditions....it was lovely though not to have a scorching hot Christmas this year....yes stress, panic, fuss all filled our house too...but it was prob all me and the reason for the season is always bigger than me. We are lucky to have family to celebrate with and the kids love the traditions that we sometimes feel bound by.
    The matching pj's are very cute....they made an appearance in our house too.

    Happy New Year to all of you. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. The kids looks to fantastic in their matching pjs. There is only me and Ellie in my household but Im thinking matching pjs might be on the cards for next year for us!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like a wonderful day for you all! the matching pj;s takes the cake though :) Happy New Year to you all x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like you family tradition of the big meal on Christmas Eve! Looks like it was a lovely time. Matching pj's are just so cute, well worth the effort! The Santa drawing is so funny, I was going to do that with my kids this year but just ran completely out of time. Your feast sounds delightful too, I am all about the food as well. We always over cater. This year's Christmas was weird, in New Zealand without my family. There was a big hot meal for lunch (because it's cold enough there) with about 20 people (much bigger than my usual meal for 4) and then dinner saw us escaped from the crowd and eating sweet juicy corn cobs fresh from the paddock and french stick with honeycomb or marmite. A very odd day indeed!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.