Tuesday, January 14, 2014

contradictions of stash busting

virtù - the contradictions of stash busting

I’m yet to really elaborate on any specific goals for the 2014. I’ve been giving it some thought and nothing really specific comes to mind – there isn’t a really a new skill such as knitting that I’d like to learn – I’m all good with the skill bank …for now. I’ve really narrowed down my goals to two broad areas #finishit2014 and stash busting.

“Use it or lose it” is an attitude I’m endeavouring to adopt this year. I want to own and store less stuff. I’m usually a less is more kind of person, it is time I started applying that to my fabric and yarn stashes.

The problem with stash busting is however, that sometimes one finds themself in the contradictory predicament of actually having to buy more material(s) in order to use stash up. It’s a quandary for sure. Take this dress above, which Ms. M only just tolerated me taking a photo of – fair enough there were better things to do, a fat quarter of the pink material with the little yellow turtles has been in my stash for many years but in order to use it up I needed resorted to buying a metre of the lovely teal love heart fabric.

virtù - pink with yellow turtles

So, can you really call it stash busting if a metre of material is required to get rid of one fat quarter?

8 comments:

  1. So funny and I'm sure this is a common predicament that few people will own up to. I am determined to down size this year. If it just sits there then it is not great fabric, it's just stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes, it's a common problem. But it is good if the fabric you need to buy is all used up & doesn't end up in stash too. So you have used some stash up. Unfortunately that's the problem often with buying fat quarters too. They aren't enough fabric to do much with. I don't do it anymore... Just found this pattern... will be a good way to use up some fats...http://thematerialgirlsquilts.blogspot.com.au/2011/01/stack-and-slash-quilt-tutorial.html I will try it. To use up those painful fats sitting there. lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. ah yes it is a contradiction isn't it! but! you did use up some of your fabric and you now have less than you started with! so win-win :) adorable dress :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent goals for 2014. I think its ok to buy some more fabric as long as at the end of the year you have less than what you started with??? Ha ha I will be interested to see if you manage it :) Such a pretty dress for your wee girl - it was worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I vote yes it is because you used the one metre you did buy and therefore decreased the overall stash rather than adding to it. I love the turtle fabric. And do I spy more vintage buttons?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great work...yes sometimes you need to spend more to save more :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That definitely counts as stash bashing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. hahaha have done this a couple times! totally get this contradiction! the dress is adorable as can be!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.