Saturday, May 31, 2014

just a minute … in may

We’re still on the illness merry-go-round in these parts. This ride started way back in March and it seems that as a family we just can’t get a break. Poor E. was the last to get gastro but certainly had it worst of all. The poor kiddo ended up having seven days off school ill. Eventually he was mended, we had three nights respite and then baby A. developed a chest and ear infection. This past week there has been very little sleep, a cumulative total of about nine hours over four nights. Dave and I resemble the walking dead. Finally at the end of the week we’re starting to catch up. My hopes are high that in the month of June we’ll find our collective health.

virtù - looking for tadpoles

Listening… to Smashmouth’s  All Star, or as it is known in the parts “the song from Shrek” as our warm up song on the way to school. We start the tune as we pull out of the drive way and it finishes just as we park the car at school. Everyone is smiles and bopping ready for the day. As good as it is I am certainly ready for a new tune in June.

The Good Wife 2

Watching…  the trashy third season of Scandal. It is so bad. One of the crappiest tv shows I have ever watched, the story lines are ridiculously far fetched and the dialogue is so bad, and yet I find it so compelling. This past week, in the late hour of night and wee hours of morning nursing my sick babe,  I watched the entire fifth season of The Good Wife  which lies at the other end of the spectrum to Scandal. It is so good. I enjoy the strong female characters so much. They’re strong, their weak, their flawed, their smart. The story-lines are contemporary and thought provoking. So much to enjoy.

With so many rainy days in May I guess it was inevitable that O. would eventually discover Dora the Explorer. His older siblings were also big Dora fans at the same age. O. also loves Kipper which was never appreciated by the older two. It is super sweet listening to him chuckling aloud as the Kipper and his mate Tiger find themselves in all sorts of dilemmas.

 

virtù - in the city

Playing… in the city with my big kids. At the end of E.’s gastro and many many rainy days I was ripe for an emotional breakdown. As a mood breaker the older two kiddos took the day off school, we dropped O off at daycare and headed into the city. On impulse we decided to go to the art gallery only realising that it didn’t open on Tuesdays as we sat outside its doors sipping milkshakes. Not to worry, we walked over the the state library and museum instead. We had a fabulous day. So much fun and exactly what I needed. Hanging out with my children always brightens my day. 

At home there has also been a fair bit of painting and play dough fun with O. Meanwhile E. and his Dadda have been enjoying chess.

virtù - climbervirtù - hot chipsvirtù - music man

Sewing… not as much as I’d like. I did get started on a scrappy quilt to of sorts. Also sewed a couple of much needed bibs for baby Ace who is slowly getting into solids. Finally finished a party frock for M. with hours to spare before she headed off to a friends party (yet to be blogged).

virtù - the pieces of A's jumper

Knitting… have started knitting a winter hat for O. He just needs something to keep his head warm during the morning school run. Also finished knitting all the pieces of a jumper for A., just need to sew it together and then finish knitting the neckline.

Crocheting… playing around with scraps of yarn to create amigurumi. In the process of developing my own pattern for a small bear using the sraps that I have on hand. It has been fun. Something small that I can pick up, put down, unravel, re-do as I get up and down to a crying baby. There has been something calming and rewarding about understanding the process of increasing and decreasing more. It’s not brain surgery peeps, but something to distract me from my woes.

virtù - may time dinners

Eating… hearty food. E just loves my vegetable soup. He says it is the best food ever. I’ve got to admit that my heart swells to five times its natural size when he says this, the smile cannot be wiped from my face. The more he says it the more I want to make it for him. Making vegetable soup is one of my favourite ways to love him. Dave has started his own Pinterest food board and as a result made a very delicious asparagus and potato pie twice. The first time it was baking in the oven when M. and I returned from her very first ballet lesson. The boys were all ill so M, Dave and I sat – just the three of us - enjoying great food and great conversation all about M’s first class. A treasured moment indeed.  Baked custard was on the cards too. It was created out of pure impulse, an attempt to brighten a cold night on a grey and rainy day.

virtù - walking to school

Gardening… not much. There are weeds everywhere!

virtù - brothers reading in bed

Reading… Philippa Gregory’s The Other Boleyn Girl. I’m enjoying it. It’s not the kind of book that you can’t put down though, which I suppose is just perfect for me just now. Something I can pick up, read for a bit then put down and possibly not pick up again for a couple of days.  E loves to read to his younger siblings. It is so sweet to watch. O and I have been really enjoying reading Go Dog! Go over and over too!

So how about you? May been good to you? Or have you been riding the cold, flu and gastro merry-go-round too?

If you want to JaM along with me be sure to leave a link in the comments section.

1 comment:

  1. OH what a rough month you have had. But I love your day off school playing truant. I love your pictures. All so precious. May June be wonderful for you all!

    I will have to give JaM a think...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.