Monday, September 29, 2014

one year on

virtù - ace one year on

hey there little fella!

It’s been a year now since I’ve known you on the outside. Fastest year of my life. Getting to know you has been totally awesome, pure delight. You sure have been teaching me loads, mostly that I don’t know as much as I thought I did. It’s a good lesson to have. My fourth babe you may be, but this inaugural  year of ours has been full of firsts and new experiences.

Celebrating your first birthday is a happy occasion, but I have to confess to crying bucket loads of tears too.  Your birth wasn’t an easy one my dear baby boy and remembering it on this anniversary fuels the hurts. We are both so lucky to be alive.

I can still remember waking up after the surgery not knowing what had happened to me or to you. I remember the angst while I waited to meet you, and then finally being wheeled down to the ICU to meet you. I remember all the tubes, the beeping noises and the sound of the oxygen being feed to you through tubes. I remember being all on my own for what felt like eternity as I waited to see you again. I remember FINALLY being allowed to hold you and taking you to my breast even though I’d been told not to. Apparently you would cry and cry and cry in the ICU, but I never knew you to cry – you were always calm and content in my arms. A year on and that still holds true. You love me like no other, and it is such an honour for me to be your rock, your security and your comfort.

Today you opened lots of gifts, well you sat there and tried to open them anyways – you had lots of keen helpers. You didn’t seem to mind and you were well aware that the day was all about you. You lapped up the attention wearing a smile from ear to ear. You received lots of bath toys – because you love your bath – and to help you celebrate all three of your siblings jumped into the bath with you to play.

Later we took you to the park and played with your new yellow ball. You got three balls in total, because you love playing with balls so much. They always make you happy. Being outside always makes you happy too. You’re a real outdoors person so to say you were in your element at the park with your new ball is an understatement. You had your first lolly – a milk bottle – there too. You seemed well impressed with it.

After the park we took you to a public swimming pool with a water slide. The original plan had been to take the family to The Maze with lots of outdoor waterslides, picnic fun and farmyard animals… but since today was a bit cold and showery we settled for an indoor pool. Don’t worry we’ll take you to The Maze soon. You seemed well impressed with the pool and little baby slides and toys. Your siblings were well chuffed too.

Then it was home for cake and opening some more gifts.

You were well knackered by the end of the day.

I haven’t quite finished making all your gifts yet. I did manage to finish a knitted elephant that I started making for you at the beginning of the year, but the eye-spy quilt and the giraffe softie still have a bit of finishing off. You’re not the best sleeper by dear boy. You tend to wake a lot through the night and don’t always nap during the day. Makes it a bit tricky to find the time to make things. Not to worry. They’ll be finished soon, and be stuffed full of my love for you.

Dear dear dear boy. I love you with all my heart and soul and am so thankful to have shared this wonderful year with you. You’re tops.

Happy 1st Birthday.

virtù - ace's first birthday

3 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday to your little man Sally, I still remember the post when you announced your were pregnant with him. All the best.

    Happy days.
    Bev.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So so awesome - happy birthday little man! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday to your little man...and to you too....it is hard to imagine what you went through just a year ago....glad the year following has been full of lovely memories to take over those feelings. xxx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.